Need knitting help!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MissWull, Sep 15, 2011.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Sep 15, 2011

I want to knit a blanket for our baby on the way! My sister's friend's mom (mouthful!) is knitting our baby a blanket, booties and a hat, which I totally appreciate...but I want to knit something myself!

I tried crochet first...and I must admit I gave up without giving it much practice. But my sister had been telling me that knitting is so much easier so I had that in the back of my mind...she hasn't knitted in YEARS and only did so for a short while so she can't really teach me much...

I basically want to know...where can I get easy patterns for beginners for a baby blanket? Which type of needle should I get, circular or straight? Is one type of needle harder to use than the other?

I type in beginner baby blanket patterns for knitting on google and there are so many sites and some of them don't specify the skill level or really give clear instructions. I'm just hoping some of you ladies on here knit!

Thanks so much! :)

3. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Sep 15, 2011

Maybe visit a fabric store in person so you can see different tools, etc in person as a salesperson helps you?

4. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Sep 15, 2011

I had this idea. I tried that first because I wanted to look at the books and see patterns and what I would need. But even the 'easy' ones seemed hard. I talked to 2 ppl and both seemed to have no idea what they were talking about. Maybe I can try a different store on my way home..

5. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Sep 15, 2011

Good luck!

6. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Sep 15, 2011

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 15, 2011

visit the Lion's Brand Website: http://www.lionbrand.com/content-knittingPatternIndex.html

You can search the knitting patterns there. They tell you if the pattern is for beginners, easy etc. You get detailed instructions, a materials list including which knitting needles. You can order straight from there & choose your colors.

I use it to get a lot of my knitting patterns. I use the free patterns, as I don't like to pay for patterns.

Good luck, let me know if you need more help.

8. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Sep 15, 2011

do you have a michael's or Joann's close to you? Or a store that only sells yarn? Most of these have classes for learning how to knit. Even if you don't take the class you might be able to speak with the person who teaches the class. Most of the teachers are people who have knitted for awhile

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 15, 2011

knitting is easy. Find a friend who can get you started, and you will be able to figure out the rest. Get a good book that has photos of each stitch with instructions. If we were closer, we could have a knitting day. I learned to knit from a professional pattern designer, so I love to knit.

There are easy baby blankets out there, check out Lion Yarn. I am looking for a quick one to make myself. They have lots of easy patterns.

Call you local extention office or maybe a retirement home. Good luck.

Start with straight size 8 needles, although you may need circuluar ones for a blanket.

10. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Sep 15, 2011

Thanks for the all responses! Ok I got my needles...found my pattern and got my yarn! I did a practice patch when I got home...I learned the cast on, knit stitch, and cast off so far...and that's all my beginner blanket pattern calls for so that works for now! I watched it all on YouTube and learned from there! So excited to see this turn into a blanket! :)

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 16, 2011

I am impressed!!!

12. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 16, 2011

I started knitting a few years ago. My sister was pregnant and I wanted to knit my niece a blanket. Since then, I've knit scarves, hats and I'm partway through a large blanket for me!

13. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 16, 2011

14. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Sep 16, 2011

Another place to look.... raverly.com Thousands of patterns for knitting and crocheting and its really easy to search through.

It's free to sign up and you can find ANYTHING you could possibly want on there.

I've crocheted for years. I'm on my 2nd and 3rd afghan (one is a wedding present). I've a bunch of patterns on that site that I want to make.

I just learned how to knit last week and I'm partway through a scarf to get a feel for it.

Shanoo, I use crochetpatterncentral alot too.

15. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 16, 2011

I knit on both circulars and straight needles. Circulars are great for a project like a blanket, because you are not knitting in the round, and the circulars can hold the bulk of the weight of a blanket. I knitted a very simple "dishcloth" blanket for my niece. I found the softest yarn, and my SIL said that it is still her favorite blankie! (she's 4).
    It is so nice to hear from fellow knitters! I want to learn to crochet badly, but noone close to me knows how. I am a visual learner-maybe I should check out YouTube!