Need Job advice

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by FraggleTeach, Aug 27, 2011.

1. FraggleTeach

FraggleTeach New Member

Aug 27, 2011

Hi-
    I am new to A to Z. I have used it to print off worksheets or activities but I have never posted a question before. I wasn't sure to post it here or on Job seekers! Basically I am a new teacher, had my first teaching job last school year, (teacher assistant) and then was not re-hired. I have become very disillusioned with the teaching profession with all the political upheaval and layoffs, and have begun wondering if it is the right profession for me.

To get to the point...basically I am at a crossroads right now. I can't decide if I should continue on in education, get my Master's in Special Education or try something different, still in education but something that I would not take on the extra financial aid debt of more school, like preschool or paraeducator (which I have experience in). I am so in debt with my bachelor's.

I am wondering if any veteran, or new in similar position, teachers have any advice. Do you think the teacher field is going to improve in the next 3-4 years? Is Special Education still highly in demand, it once was but now everyone is doing special ed just to get a job it seems. I am also thinking my heart lies more in social work than teaching. Has anyone gone into education in their undergrad and then gone onto social work? I would love to talk to some one about that.

Geez sorry so long! I hope you read this even though I wrote a novel. Anyone with any advice would be a great help to me!
    Thank you so much for your time! Sorry to ramble!
    :confused::help::blush:

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 27, 2011

My opinion is the teaching field is not going to improve any time soon. If you REALLY need to be a teacher then it's all moot. If not, then considering another field makes financial sense. That said, the economy in general is also in a quandary in many areas and not just teaching.

I realize I wasn't much help with that. Oops. Lol.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2011

For me it would be impossible to live on the salary of a preschool teacher or para. They usually are paid by the hour (at least in my experience), and not very much at that.

I'd bite the bullet and take out some more loans to go back to school. If teaching isn't where your heart is, don't do it. Social work is a field that seems to have a few openings, as it school counseling, at least in my area. There is an enormous demand for all sorts of mental health experts in many parts of the country, so much so that I've heard stories of people with school counseling degrees being hired at mental health facilities to work as counselors and therapists in that sort of setting. It's an idea at least, especially if you gravitate towards that field.

5. MrBiology

MrBiology Rookie

Aug 28, 2011

You need to love teaching to be a teacher.

^ Let that soak in. Take a little break from the stress that you undoubtedly went through your first year and not getting re-hired. After your nerves cool off and you feel re-energized, think about it some more. If teaching really is your passion, go for it and don't let anything get in your way of achieving your goals.

Teaching isn't for everyone, and that's alright. But it wouldn't be fair to the kids if you really didn't have your heart in it.

6. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 28, 2011

If you are considering going back to school for anything and getting into more debt, I would make sure that it is in a job field that will have lots of openings! You don't want to end up adding more to your student loans just to end up in the same position that you are at now.

The teaching field can be very discouraging and you are probably just feeling down about it because you don't have a job right now. That might not mean that teaching is not right for you. I would take a little time to think about options right now and not rush into anything!

I graduated in 2009 and will be starting my third year of subbing while looking for a full-time job. It is not my first pick of jobs but I have been able to make it work for now. I was also considering going back to get a Master's degree but I decided to put that on hold. I just paid off my student loans and I don't want to jump into more debt right now. I was also told that sometimes in this job market, getting a Master's can hurt your chances of getting hired because you are too expensive for a first year teacher. I have no idea if that is true or not but I want to be very sure of what I am doing before adding on more debt.

Take your time before making any major decisions and talk to lots of people. In the mean time, I would get very serious about the job search. Several people on this forum just got hired even after school started! It might not be too late for you!

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 28, 2011

I have a girlfriends daughter that graduated with a teaching degree about 2 years ago. She really did not put much effort into the job hunt and was not 100% sure she wanted to be a teacher. She is now enrolled in a two year program for dental hygiene. She hopes to work in pediatric dentistry so that she can still be around children. I cannot imagine wanting to look in people's mouths everyday, but she is excited about it. I know these jobs are in demand. She will not incur much debt doing this and she will ultimately be around children. So, I am glad that she is seeming to find something that she enjoys. My advice... Find something that you love and do it. Life is too short to work at a job that you do not smile about going to each day.

8. Danielle721

Danielle721 Rookie

Aug 30, 2011

It all depends. I would possibly look into school psychology, if you love kids and like social work. If you think you still want to teach, go back for your Master's and sub during the day to try and make ends meet. It took me 3.5 yrs of subbing to find a job in NYC. I have friends subbing for 5 yrs and still nothing. It depends where you are in your life- married, single, kids... If you still have family support, go back to school and try subbing Or sub for a year wo going back to school and see if you still like it.