Need interview help please!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by chalkachalka, Aug 23, 2011.

1. chalkachalka

chalkachalka Rookie

Aug 23, 2011

I just got called in for an interview on Thursday. I am putting my 16 year-old cat to sleep in 4 hours and I'm a nervous wreck because of it. I can barely stop crying, let alone prepare for an interview. I can't just pass up the possibility of a job, though. My mind has gone completely blank. I have no idea what to prepare as far as what to say to the panel. I know they are going to want to talk about "best practices" and various reading methodologies. What should I have ready besides that? I asked what to bring and she said just myself and a smile. So, no demo lesson and no portfolio, at least, but I still need to bring my "A" game interview wise. Normally, I could get my act together, but right now I can't even see straight. Please help!!! Thank you everyone...I really appreciate it.

3. chalkachalka

chalkachalka Rookie

Aug 23, 2011

By the way, what on earth are "best practices" and various reading methodologies? I can barely remember my name at this point. I'm freaking out.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

My sincere sympathies on your cat.

For today, forget the interview except as a distraction. You're such a wreck that you probably won't accomplish much anyway. So concentrate on mechanics-- what you'll wear, getting copies of your resume together, and so on. Play with the idea of a brochure if you don't already have one; if you don't get anywhere on it you can drop the idea.

Tomorrow morning you may be better able to think. Right now, just wallow in emotions.

Again, my sympathies.

5. chalkachalka

chalkachalka Rookie

Aug 23, 2011

Thanks so much, Aliceacc. I am definitely a mess. I already know what I'm going to wear and they have my resume and a complete portfolio. It's a matter of what am I going to say...is my mind going to go blank...will I cry? I know it sounds silly to a lot of people, but, my cat was family to me. I got her right before I started college. She's been through everything with me until today. If I'm not in tears, I'm numb. How on earth do I rock the socks off a panel of 5 or 6 people?

I think I'm going to be a mess tomorrow too. I could really use some help prepping for this one. Crazy timing.

6. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

I'm so sorry about your cat. I have 2 that are about 8 years old and I would be heartbroken if anything happened to them.

Good luck on your interview!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2011

I hope you're feeling a bit better today.

OK, for interview help:

the best interviews are the ones that feel more like a conversation, with give and take, than an interrogation. So go in with a smile and a firm handshake, and start a conversation. You can make a small joke about your nervousness if you want, or something similar.

Hit one of the interview threads today. After you read each question, formulate your answer, then read the answers that people have posted. The idea isn't to memorize your answer, but to find phrasing you're happy with. (Oh, and answer out loud. You want to hear your voice giving the response.)

Here you go, get started :)
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=132633

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 24, 2011

I'm sorry about your cat 1st of all. What bad timing, but I'm an animal lover/owner as well, so I understand how upset you are. :(

I wish you all the luck to say the right things on the interview! :)

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2011

Sorry about your kitty.:(

Do some research on the school...their philosophy of instruction, any programs they use, demographics...
    Good luck!