Need Integrated Science/Math Ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CFClassroom, Feb 5, 2012.

1. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2012

I need to do a lesson that integrates science and math.

I teach 3rd, but would love ideas for any level K-5.

I was thinking for the math portion I could do measurement or data collection / graphing as both lend themselves to science. I'm open to anything though. I would love any and all ideas. Thanks in advance!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2012

Have you looked at the AIMS website?

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2012

Do something that involves trials and errors. Maybe the kids can create something to race or that needs specific measurements. The students could do an experiment and try to speed it up or slow it down. Then they would need to take measurements, time, graph, find mean, median, mode, etc.

5. AFine

AFine Rookie

Feb 11, 2012

I know a teacher who taught an amazing 3 week unit on rockets with 3rd-5th graders. It integrated advanced ideas of angles, indirect measurement, measurement, use of calculators, velocity, effects of wind, motors, safety, the history of space travel and rockets, and they get to make their own rockets and shoot them off. They get to use an altimeter with a table of tangents to calculate the height of their rockets. They raised money with the PTO for the cost of the rockets. It was 600 dollars for about 90 students.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2012

I can imagine $600 being spent in ways to have longer effects than one unit for 90 kids.:sorry:

7. KatieS

KatieS Rookie

Feb 17, 2012

I do an integrated lesson on counting strategies, graphing, and nonrenewable resources. I spread out tons of pennies on the floor and we pretend they are coal deposits. Each group of students represents a century. Each group gets a specified amount of time to get on the floor and pick up as many pieces of "coal" as they can. By the time the 4th group gets on the floor, there are not many pennies left.

Once each group has collected, they have to count their pennies. They have to figure out best methods of grouping to count. Then, the students create a collective bar graph that shows the amount collected. It usually works out that the amount decreases for each group. This demonstrates that eventually our nonrenewable resources will be gone.

You can then create additional math problems from the bar graph.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 17, 2012

While I'm sure the rockets purchased will be used for many years (making them well worth the cost) you can do rocket units with alka seltzer rockets to reduce that cost.(one of many sites: http://www.sci-experiments.com/seltzer_rocket/seltzer.html) I use film canisters for mine. You can also do marble rockets. http://www.thetech.org/education/downloads/dconline/physicsRollercoasters.pdf Really, any experiment involving measurement is a great tie-in. We did an activity the other day where I had a food chain (the idea came from an AIMs activity) and varied the number of them (producer, primary consumer, secondary consumer, and decomposer). We did several feedings with the different numbers of each. Then we did a multi-line graph and looked at the relationship (to examine the impact of many producers vs very few, or what no decomposers would do to a habitat).

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 17, 2012