Need inspiring novel about a teacher

Discussion in 'High School' started by gr8_life, Nov 17, 2008.

1. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 17, 2008

Seeking something motivating and inspiring that will read like a novel and not a "how-to" book or a book with short little passages.

Must have language that is suitable for a high school student.

Educating Esme is not the answer, too many vulgar words for my taste.

Must be in paperback, there is no budget. :dizzy::cool::cool::cool::cool:

3. dovian

dovian Comrade

Nov 22, 2008

Haven't read it myself but other teachers in my building use "To Sir, With Love". Another possibility is "Freedom Writers" - my kids love the movie, and again, I haven't read the book, but worth looking into.

4. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 22, 2008

Thanks! I am considering Great Expections School after hearing about it.

5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Nov 22, 2008

Inspiring novel about a teacher for high schoolers? I love Luanne Johnson- Dangerous Minds- vulgar language though and I have not read that book- I think it is called My Posse Dont Do Homework. Then there is Torey Hayden, which would probably not be approved- those books include some really harsh, heartbreaking realities, but it is wicked inspiring. Richard Bach's Illusions and his Johnathan Livingston Seagull which I am not sure if anyone classifies as teacher/inspirational with the exception of me, but those are all the inspirational teacher novels (and movies) I turn to. I have read all of these prior to high school, but it depends on the student. I would certainly preread them prior to suggesting them to students. I also did not care for Educating Esme. There is also that book Teach like your hair is on fire, by someone whose name begins with an R- you can find it on amazon, but I thought it was kinda like Esme and I did not care for it. Another idea is the book Everything I need to know I learned in kindergarten, again that is kinda iffy categorization as are the books about the people behind sesame street- like Big Birds book and those books I forget the titles but I read them and was inspired. I guess I am not much help, but I cannot wait to read other peoples ideas!

6. Sheba

Sheba Companion

Nov 22, 2008

Prisoner of Wonderland by Jane Keeler.

7. ELA 11 12

ELA 11 12 Companion

Nov 23, 2008

I teach Angela's Ashes...1/2 the class likes it, 1/4 doesn't like it and typically the last 1/4 doesn't read it.