Need input on career path

Discussion in 'College' started by newgirl09, Jun 23, 2012.

1. newgirl09

newgirl09 Rookie

Jun 23, 2012

Hello everyone,

I am currently about to enter my senior year in my education degree program. I have a scholarship that requires me to teach at least 2 years in an "high need" school district in MS. I am thrilled for the opportunity.

However, I do want to obtain a Masters. After I graduate in May 2013, I have a 1 year grace period to find a job in one of the high need districts in MS. My problem is what if I can't complete my Masters in time. How long does that generally take? Plus I hear that most districts don't hire until the summer anyways. So, even if I apply in the Spring I might not get an offer until June or July which is after the one year grace period. If I do not secure a job in that grace period, I have to pay the scholarship back as a loan...which is something I really do not wanna have to do.

I am hesitant to just wait to get my masters because I am afraid I will get to busy/engulfed with teaching to actually go back and do it.

Any input would be appreciated.

3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 23, 2012

I would get a teaching job so you don't have to pay back your scholarship and pursue your masters after a year of classroom teaching.

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 23, 2012

Wait and get your Master's after you have some teaching experience. The experience will give you a better idea as to what content you want to focus on for your advanced degree. Also, I know that there are Master's programs that can be completed in a year, but many take between 1 and 2 years. You could also run into districts that are reluctant to hire someone with a Master's and no experience.

5. bradleys22

bradleys22 New Member

Jun 24, 2013

Don't waste your scholarship. I think it is better to have at least one or two years of teaching experience and then right after you can pursue your Masters.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2013

I would certainly make obtaining a job that would fulfill your scholarship's requirements a priority immediately upon graduating. If you secure a positiom and can begin your master's degree program as well, awesome. I started mine as soon as I graduated and did just fine as a first year teacher. It took right at two years, I do believe, for a thirty-three hour program.

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 24, 2013

I agree with what everyone else has told you. Get the job asap. Then get the master's later. Looking for a job is a lot of work in and of itself. You'll feel like you're working towards your master's just by applying and interviewing for jobs! Once you've secured your job, get started on the first year or two teaching. You're right... The first year of teaching will be tough. You'll have enough to focus on without taking classes towards your masters at that point. After you've been in the field a few years and know what areas of education interest you most, THEN go get your masters, with a focus on one of those areas. I've never personally had the fact that I have a masters hurt me in securing a job, but it's been mentioned that you could run into that issue as well.