Need info on Read 180.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MisterG, Jan 19, 2009.

1. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jan 19, 2009

Hi all,
    Well I haven't been around in a while...mainly getting rusty not being in the classroom for two years. Hard for me to provide input when Im not teaching. Now Im driving truck and while its OK...Im bummed about not using my degree. Lol, however at the same time...I get stressed out in the classroom.....just blood pressure and my wife says Im different...which is weird.

Anywho...so Im looking for different opportunities, havent really put much thought into it, but the district in the town we live in has an opening for Read 180 which I never heard of before. I had to search and found it is a program (it looks like) by Scholastic. I was wondering if someone could give me any more information on this...as far as what it exactly is, whats involved...etc. Im thinking this might be something I might want to do. The district just wants a teacher with a regular bachelors degree...not anyone specifically with a reading education background.

Thanks for your help.

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 20, 2009

I know nothing of this program, but good luck!

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2009

It is a remedial reading program that combines computer activities with small group and individual work. I think it certainly would be less stressful than a regular classroom.

5. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jan 20, 2009

Just like beckysuek said, it's a remedial program. We use it at my school and it seems to work (haven't been around long enough to REALLY see long term). It's pretty scripted, and my friend that teaches it enjoys it.

6. greenfin1

greenfin1 New Member

Jan 21, 2009

Good luck for your Program:

7. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Jan 21, 2009

They used Read 180 at the school where I student taught. I thought it was ok. The students liked the computer part, but they could get around being challenged at all. The group part is completely scripted, down to HOW the teacher is supposed to talk... The independent reading part was the one I had the biggest issue with. It was leveled readers that most of the students found boring. I think real reading could be incorporated into the program and it could still be effective. It is a good way to ease yourself back into teaching, though. Good luck!