Need independent phonics worksheets - Website help?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by AllysonKinder, Dec 13, 2006.

1. AllysonKinder

AllysonKinder Rookie

Dec 13, 2006

Here is my problem. I have started reading groups - I have 4 - and I meet with 2 per day. I give the class a small lesson on something (letter sounds, blends, etc) and then call my groups while the class works on seat/paper work related to what I just went over. The problem is, I need something for them to do when they finish their written work while I am still meeting with groups. My TA said they need some more to do and the books I have for them to look at aren't cutting it for the 15 minutes or so that they need to be quiet while I'm in reading groups.

Can you recommend any websites where I can find reproducable things that the kinders can do independently until I can get back with the whole group again?

Thank you!

3. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Dec 13, 2006

4. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Dec 14, 2006

Have you tried having them do puzzles or work with manipulative type items. You could buy little objects from the dollar store and have the students sort the objects by sounds for example. You could also have your students cut pictures out of magazines that go along with the sound/letter you're working on. Do your children have journals? You could have them write in their journal when they finish their work. I have alphabet stamps and magnet letters that the enjoy using. Another favorite is "Write the Room" where the students walk around the room with a clipboard, small pointer stick, and pencil and write down words they find in the classroom. I hope these ideas help!

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2006

If you want something quiet for them to do while you do reaidng groups, have them do the activites that deeena mentioned. I have these tubs that my kids can get out from the shelves and work with. I have puzzles, alphabet foams that they can put in order, alphabet magnets, phonic cards where they write cvc words, decodables with the phonic phone, chalkboard and chalk for them to write sight words on, etc. I wouldn't want them to always do worksheets. I imagine that they'll get bored with that, plus, it's a lot of wasted paper. Will they be really learning? I really like the journal idea that Deeena said. That be good too.

6. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 14, 2006

Peachyness- I just brought in some phonic phones. Please tell me how you are using yours with decodables.

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 14, 2006

I agree with Deeena. My 4-year olds journal everyday while they wait for others to finish their snack. I have a basket of Mead Composition Books and colored pencils. Some kids draw, some are writing "string of letters", and some are writing words. Everyone is progressing and they love it!

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2006

I just have them whisper read the story into the phone. They do this during workshop when they are all done with their work. Today was actually the first day that I had them do this, and I had some kids who kept wanting to play with the phones. Tomorrow I will have to review how to use them. But yeah, I just want them to read the decodables that we have been reading in class into the phone. Last year, I had the phones with alphabet cards. They would say the word and sound into the phone.

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2006

If you do literacy centers, have meeting with you be one of the rotations in your centers. That is how I meet with my reading groups and it works quite well. :)

10. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 14, 2006

Peachyness- Thanks!

11. AllysonKinder

AllysonKinder Rookie

Dec 14, 2006

Kinderkids - that is a brilliant idea! Thank you for that suggestion and all the suggestions I got!

12. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Dec 16, 2006

I got tired of photocopying and throwing the copies in the trash. I made an alphabet page of all the letters, capital and lowercase, from the following website: http://www.handwritingworksheets.com/
    I had to cut and paste each line to get the entire alphabet on one page. Then I found a page with numbers 1-10. I photocopied each page, glued the alphabet on one side of construction paper. Then I glued the number page on the other side. I laminated the pages. The students use dry erase markers to trace the letters and the numbers. I cut felt into squares so they could use them as erasers. You can have them bring in an old sock as an eraser as well. It takes them longer than 10 minutes to finish the entire page. Even my really advanced reader takes a long time to complete this, since he still needs printing practice. They use these when they finish all of their work, and they like them.

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 16, 2006

yes, I've used that website for their names! It's amazing. I love it. Thank you fo sharing you idea about laminating them. I've never thought of that. And felt squares!! What a neat idea. I have sooo many in ugly colors :)