Need Ideas

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by mschristine23, Aug 28, 2006.

1. mschristine23

mschristine23 Rookie

Aug 28, 2006

I am doing a September calendar to give out at orientation. i need some ideas of things my parents can do with their children at home. this is just to help them know what they should help their child with. any ideas please help.

3. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 28, 2006

Here are some ideas of the top of my head...

1.) Help them write their name
    2.) Adults read to child
    3.) Practice writing numbers
    4.) Reiterate to parents the importance of letting their child do things independently (i.e. put their jacket/shoes on, put their dishes in sink, clean up after themselves esp when playing at home before going to a new activity, etc)

I can't think of a lot of things preschoolers can do at home with parents unless I knew the themes you are studying specifically.

4. Xtine

Xtine Companion

Aug 29, 2006

I'd say, count everything and anything, recognize patterns and shapes, identify colors, recognize classmates names/pictures, read signs, find letters the newspaper or magazines, practice hopping, balancing, walking backwards, etc. All those things can be done at home easily and should reinforce concepts you want your class to learn. :)

5. imashortcake

imashortcake Rookie

Aug 29, 2006

I would make sure that they let them do things independently. I would like to be able to spend my time during the school day teaching them letters, numbers, shapes etc. rather than teach them how to wash their hands, throw away their garbage or put on their coat. I find that many parents do these things for their child all the time and then they expect the teacher to do that for all of the children in the class. Sometimes I feel that I am helping wash hands more than I am teaching.