Need Ideas!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teacher62604, Jul 30, 2005.

1. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 30, 2005

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone has any good ideas on how I should decorate my classroom door. I want something fun so when people walk down our hallway they go...Oh, look at that class! :) I didn't really decorate the classroom door last year (just a sign that said "welcome") and I want to do something better this year. I have 3rd graders, so I could go w/ pretty much anything. But I have NO ideas!! Please help! Thank You!
    [​IMG]

3. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 30, 2005

Hi Amanda,

I was wondering the same thing about my door. I think I am going to do something with the ocean. I started another thread about welcome back bulletin boards and a lot of people posted with some great ideas. I hope this helps! Good luck with your door!

4. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 30, 2005

Thanks. I'll look for that thread. What are you going to do w/ the ocean?? Sounds fun...

5. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 30, 2005

I think I will cover the door in blue paper and I have a bulletin board set that I got from Carson Dellosa that has ocean theme cut outs. I will put each students name on a fish and eventually add their pictures. Then I will add some kind of catchy saying : Swimming Into a New Year or something like that. If anyone can think of any other ideas to add to that I would love to hear them.

6. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 30, 2005

Thanks. It sounds like your door will look great. :)

[​IMG]

7. Newto2ndGrade

Newto2ndGrade Rookie

Jul 30, 2005

When I taught third grade I did a big 3 cut out and made footsteps. I put the kids' names on a footstep and had them "travelling" around the door. Then I cut out the words Grade 3 - A Big Step! I kept that up all year and at the end of the year the kids wanted their footsteps.

8. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 30, 2005

Thanks! I think I kinda figured out what I'm going to do. I have a lot of "apple" cut outs left over from last year. I think I'm going to put the kids names on the apples and place them all over the door. I was thinking for a title it might be..."All Good Apples Are Welcome!" or something like that. What do you think?

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 30, 2005

Apples will be awesome. Our teachers the last couple years, bought the Welcome wooden decorations. You buy them at Hobby Lobby, Wal Mart in the art and craft department. ---a wreath at Christmas that had lights that ran on a battery, and etc.

10. mmis

mmis Companion

Aug 1, 2005

decorate door

Since lots of 3rd graders like Magic Tree House books, you can build a tree house out of a box and use brown and green paper around it. You can place it over your door (on the top) and then your door is the rest of the tree. You can easily buy or make a rope ladder to hang down on your door. Find cut-outs of children, put your students' names on them and put them on the ladder and on the tree. Your title can say something about an Adventure in 3rd grade. You can also copy the front of some Magic Tree House books that you plan to read aloud and put those on the door too. I use hot glue and string to keep everything in place.
    (It can stay up all year)

11. mreser

mreser Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

Im doing my room in a rainforest theme. Any ideas on a good sign for the outside of my door??

12. mmis

mmis Companion

Aug 2, 2005

rainforest door

Going on a Safari in ___ grade!

You can enlarge a school bus on the overhead- paint it black and white(like a zebra). Put pictures of your students on the bus. Make jungle trees and vines to hang around the bus. (Take pictures of your students wearing a jungle hat and a jungle bandana)

Just hanging Out in ___ grade!

Make a huge tree from brown butcher paper and huge green leaves(from green butcher paper). Make or buy monkeys to put in tree with students' names on them.

13. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 3, 2005

Great Ideas!!! Thanks guys! You are very creative. :)

[​IMG]

14. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Aug 4, 2005

One of the teachers in our building has an idea that I would LIKE to use, but she uses it every year. She creates a mini-community, using her name "____land." Then each of the kids names are posted as street names.
    Howard Avenue, Kristy Lane, Tom Court, etc.

15. SimplySue

SimplySue Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

Doors!

I love to be creative with doors. When I did the ocean, I made a huge mouth of a giant fish where the students walked in through the mouth. Of course, there was a giant uvula hanging down with a saying on it like "Oceans-a lot to swallow!" Hee,hee :D

For space, I made a huge LEM with the door of it matching the door of the classroom. In the window area of the door was an astronaut looking back with a bubble that said "Come explore the Universe with me!"

For electricity and magnetism I make a huge horseshoe magnet with an armature (coil that helps collect the electricity). Saying is "We'll generate lots of fun with electricity!"

OK, enough about the doors. Help your students "walk into" a special learning environment with whatever you create. ;)

Sue

16. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Aug 4, 2005

I love that fishy idea, SimplySue!

17. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 4, 2005

Simply Sue,
    That is GREAT! You are so creative!! I never would have thought of those. Thanks for sharing!

[​IMG]

18. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2005

A neat idea I saw last year was a teacher covered the back of her door in fabric. Made all the kids notice that room!

I put my daily schedule up, and a welcome sign :) Boring I know!