Need ideas to keep students busy at dismissal time while they wait to be called to their buses

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by thesub, Apr 20, 2016.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Apr 20, 2016

Hi: Our third-grade students get very disruptive while they wait to be called as walkers/busers at the end of the day. They start lounging near the teacher's desk, talking inappropriate things, arm-wrestling etc. How do we keep them busy? The teacher reads a book or somebody has a show-tell TILL dismissal time, so they are good. But chaos sets in as they wait in the classroom to go to the gym for bus dismissal or parent-pick ups.

Thanks so much,
    thesub

3. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Apr 20, 2016

They should remain at their seats and put their chairs up just before they walk out the door. Or they should be seated on the carpet until they leave the room. My point is that they can't be too disruptive if you make them stay seated. If they start acting up at their seats or on the carpet, then you'll have to have a consequence for it.

Obadiah likes this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2016

If they have to stay in the room, can they watch a video until dismissal? Alternative idea, they can read a book silently.

Obadiah likes this.
  5. Evergreen

Evergreen Rookie

Apr 20, 2016

Obadiah likes this.
  6. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Apr 20, 2016

I did brain teasers with 6th grade students and they LOVED it! You could find riddles or brain teasers for little kids too.

hden and Obadiah like this.
  7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 20, 2016

My dismissal policy is that once the room is cleaned up, the kids can get "safely crazy." I'd rather let them have fun and get the sillies out. They have a long day, and I don't see the problem in letting them good around, as long as they aren't putting themselves in danger. It also gives me something to take away if necessary.

bella84 and Obadiah like this.
  8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 20, 2016

You know the whole situation better than me, so you'll have to see which one of these will work.

1st choice: read aloud a very interesting book to them.
    2nd choice: a short educational but very interesting video that they haven't seen much before. Discovery use to have some great ones on animals such as sharks, piranhas, dolphins etc.
    3rd choice: play a somewhat educational game with them such as hangman or math around the world.

hden and Obadiah like this.
  9. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Apr 20, 2016

With young students, I have found that playing games with the kids waiting to leave has helped a lot. I learned from a very good 2nd grade teacher to have the kids play "Cleanup Bingo" every day, with the "winner" getting a small reward every day. She had bingo cards pre-printed with tasks they could do and if somebody got a bingo, they won for the day...and as many kids could bingo as possible on any day!

Obadiah likes this.
  10. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 20, 2016

On days when I can tell my kids have too much energy at dismissal and they start making poor choices, I tell them we're going to wait with our heads down, or they can choose to read a book. Zero talking is allowed. If they talk, they owe me a minute at recess (usually, they know I mean business and they don't talk). It sounds kind of harsh, but it's actually a good way to wind down and decompress at the end of a busy day. I close the blinds and we end our day peacefully, instead of chaotically.

On days when they have more self-control and can handle it, we do trivia or I read aloud.

Obadiah likes this.
  11. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Apr 20, 2016

We play mum ball at dismissal a lot. They love it and part of the game is being silent. Win-win! :)

Obadiah likes this.
  12. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Apr 21, 2016

An interactive video, such as Signing Time with Leah and Alex, might be helpful. A nice thing about videos are that they keep the teacher free for any situations that might arise, (a call concerning a special pickup, a message sent to the teacher, etc.). A negative possibility with videos--some parents will delay picking up their children so they can watch an entire video (I've heard of this actually occurring)!

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 21, 2016

That's what I do (since one bus is ALWAYS late picking up kids). The videos allow me to sit by the phone to wait for the bus call. I did have one student who didn't want to leave because the song wasn't finished LOL

otterpop likes this.
  14. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 21, 2016

I think that showing a video would be my top choice, too, if this was a regular occurrence! Especially sometimes educational and engaging.

15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 21, 2016

Gotta say, I'm rather fascinated by this thread. I've never been at a school with such involved dismissal procedures.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 21, 2016

I try to show the education ones like letters, numbers, colors, etc. One of their favorites is the School Rules song which is always good to practice. I have very low functioning students so any colorful video with music is helpful.

17. thesub

thesub Comrade

Apr 21, 2016

18. thesub

thesub Comrade

Apr 21, 2016

Thank you all for the great ideas - so nice to hear from all of you. I also thought of 20 questions, some version of Telephone.

19. applecore

applecore Devotee

Apr 22, 2016

My students are required to sit/stand and read while they wait. It's only 20 minutes, so they are able to get one book read and tested towards their reading goals. I allow them to choose to read to a partner or read alone. They also get to sit where they want, as long as they are reading. Just being allowed to sit on their desk to read is the highlight of most of their lives! We've had contests to see who can complete a number of books each week for an extra recess on Friday--I'd take them outside for about 15 minutes if we met our goal. That way I could tutor students for intervention and or prep for the next day.

20. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Apr 23, 2016

We play "silent ball" sometimes. Students who are playing sit on top of their desk and gently toss either a beach ball or a koosh/ squishy/ soft smaller ball around the room. If you drop it or make noise, you are out and have to sit back in your chair. We do a couple of rounds and sometimes I give the winner of a round a sticker (not always, they like to play just to play). These are 5th graders, and the combo of tossing a ball and sitting on a desk is still ENTHRALLING to them :D

21. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Apr 23, 2016

Just to be clear - because it never crossed my mind that people might not know what mum ball is - phillyteacher pretty much just described it. My kids are 6th graders and yes, considering that I'm usually making them get off the furniture, they love being able to get on it instead!

22. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 7, 2016

SILENT BALL!!!

My students LOVED this game! It was the perfect incentive for them to get packed up quickly. We played with slightly different rules than described above. I let the kids sit on their desks or move to another location in the room (area near my desk and classroom computers was off limits). I always had one "judge" who determined when someone was out (and who, thrower or catcher) and could change up the rules. This was a coveted role so I based it on behavior during the day.

MLB711 likes this.
  23. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 8, 2016

I have sets of Brain Quest at many age/educational levels. There are a variety of subjects/topics, and the ones I have are made to hold them together, with the questions, then the answers. Lots of questions per set, and lots of variation on this theme, from ELA, History, US History, Science, Presidents, Black History, Latino influences, Math, etc., at varied levels. The kids love the questions, you can game with them, simply make it a personal best kind of score, etc. I bought mine on Ebay, since I think the new versions are on computers or tablets.

MLB711 likes this.
  24. showmelady

showmelady Companion

May 12, 2016

When I am subbing, at dismissal time I like to go over something that was in the lesson plan for the day. For example, if we read a story I might quiz them about the characters. Or for math I might play a math game using whatever we did during the day. Ad (especially for the lower grades) I then give out stickers for good answers. We go really fast and the kids all seem to love it.

25. hden

hden New Member

May 13, 2016

TED talks are fantastic! I have a bunch that I have watched and use all the time, they never fail! 20 Questions is always simple and good too!