Need ideas for supplemental programs

Discussion in 'General Education' started by rookieABC123, Oct 18, 2014.

1. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Oct 18, 2014

The middle school I work at has some excess title 1 funds to spend. Approx. $3000. Our student population is lower income. Needs in our school are to increase basic reading, writing, and math. We currently have a lot of technology so that is not a need.
    What supplemental programs or after school activities could we use this money on?
    Looking for ideas. Thank you!

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 18, 2014

Do you have remedial reading programs? I know schoastic and sopris learning offer a few. Not sure about cost though. Perhaps a subscription to an online remedial reading or math program would be good.

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 18, 2014

Supplies or after school tutoring that would focus on reading, writing &/or math. If you have technology, do you need apps? How low are your students? Would they benefit from Raz-Kids? Or something else that needs a license? Sorry, I don't know a lot about math.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 18, 2014

I would think something after school would be the best way to go. Your school is mostly low income, and often after school care is a problem. Yes, middle school age kids are old enough to be alone, but what often happens is that they roam the streets, hang out with the wrong friends, and it goes in a downwards spiral. (a research has shown that age 11-13 is the most crucial, most gang-members started associating with the gang life sometime at that age)

After school tutoring focusing on math, reading, writing.

6. deenamathew

deenamathew Rookie

Oct 29, 2014

Even i would like to say something after school would be the best way to go for reading, writing, and math.