Need ideas for Professional Growth

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Ms Petunia, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Ms Petunia

Ms Petunia Rookie

Nov 2, 2008

Hi everyone:).
    I need some advice for a professional growth idea to conduct in my preschool classroom. I teach one 3-year old class and one 4-year old class.

Each year we have a choice of having an observation by our principal or completing a professional growth based on our classroom observation. I would like to implement a professional growth topic. This entails choosing a topic in academics, classroom management etc and then implementing it in the classroom. The research, observations and conclusions are then submitted to the principal. The desired conclusion should be a discovery that will help me professionally.

One idea I had was to read a book by Harry Wong and implementing one of his methods in my classroom. I have never had an opportunity to read any of his books so I'm not sure if I can apply his "methods"?

Any ideas?

Ms Petunia

3. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 2, 2008

Well, the first thing you would want to do is to do a little research on the subject--- do a google search for "implementing Harry Wong methods in the preschool classroom and see what you get----see what ideas spring to mind--if you get nothing coming to mind you might want to reconsider your subject matter. Can you do something like plan out and implement a field trip or an emergency evacuation/situation and practice it keeping in mind pros and cons and what works and what doesn't? Or think about what you might put together for a student teacher to do-- or think about what you consider your weaker points and do something to help improve in one of those areas----maybe classroom environments is somethign you can work on and try rearranging your classroom to make it more effective? What worked what didn't work? Just thinking out loud--well kind of--typing out loud actually I guess---

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 2, 2008

What about trying to incorporate a new curriculum into the classroom like science experiments or more large motor work in the classroom environment?

You could look up a program called Brain Gym and see what they say. It does wonders for kids and it's mostly large motor stuff that you can do in the classroom....some of it is independent and some of it is for the whole group.

5. Ms Petunia

Ms Petunia Rookie

Nov 2, 2008

Thanks sarzacsmom you've got me thinking about my professional growth in a different way. Tomorrow as I'm going through my classroom routine with my students it will be with inquiry.
    Tracykaliski I am also going to think about your science experiment idea. I have a science table that changes each week in my classroom but it is student directed.
    I am interested in Brain Gym after dinner I'm looking it up.
    Thank you so much for your help guys.

6. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Nov 2, 2008

I started bookmaking in my class last week. I was surprised how well it was accepted by my 4 year olds. I started reading "Already Ready" this summer after Vannapk started the book on Professional Groups. You might look into that.