Need ideas for my wife

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by greatscott, Jul 14, 2011.

1. greatscott

greatscott New Member

Jul 14, 2011

Hello everyone, I have come in search of advise! My wife just graduated in May with her K-5 teaching degree and was offered her first position to teach kindergarten beginning in August. I'm really proud of her. We have 2 girls, ages one and three, and she worked super hard working and going to school. Somehow while juggling all that she managed to pull off graduating magna cum laude.

Well, back to the task at hand (my teacher's old school quote:lol:), I would love to do something nice for her that she can use in the classroom. Since she is just starting out her class will be an absolutely clean slate.

Any Ideas?

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 14, 2011

Have her University diploma framed to hang in her classroom. She will cherish that! I would! And you are way sweet!

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2011

How very sweet of you. I would buy picture books that she can read to the class, but that have personal meaning. For example, think of a place you've vacationed to and find a book from that area.
    On a practical side maybe a dorm fridge and stock her up on her favoritedrinks and snacks.
    Or perhaps a really nice school bag.
    Teachers always spend a lot of money on their rooms. Now that I'm matured with kids I feel bad spending our "family money" so maybe a gift certificate to lakeshore so she can shop guilt free.

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2011

It may not be something she can use "in her classroom" but maybe you could make her a Care Kit for school with lots of stuff that she might need... A brush, tylenol, tissues, water bottle, her favorite snack, notepads, special pens (for those yucky meetings), lipgloss/chapstick, stickers, a favorite cd, etc. You could even put it in one of those awesome "teacher" bags from Lands End that has her initials on it???
    I know I would LOVE something like that!!!!!
    And I agree with SCTeach... you are way sweet!

6. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 14, 2011

The books are a really good idea. Thats where I spent a lot of money when i began teaching. I especially like the personalization of them!! :thumb:

PS You are just too sweet and thoughful!!

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 14, 2011

You are so sweet! I like the idea of a kit for school. At school I keep mints, chapstick, a brush, advil (she'll need it!), Tums, CHOCOLATE (I need that too!) and lotion.

I think the gift card to Lakeshore is a fantastic idea. Another thing is you can get a baby-sitter and help her set her classroom up. It will take a lot of work before school starts to get the room organized and decorated.

8. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 14, 2011

This also is a great idea! I really like the part of putting it in a teacher bag with her initials embroidered. She will need a bag for lugging all those papers etc back and forth to school.

My first year teaching my sister made me a goody bag which I thought was an awesome idea. Items in the bag included/could include: aleve, lent roller brush, a baggy a quarters (for the much needed caffiene from the vending machine), snacks, colored pens, pencils, roll of paper towels, 409, sponges, pepto, label maker, keyboard cleaner, notepads, sticky notes, clipboard with my initials (so if its left behind somewhere it can be returned or found), bucket for carrying copies back and forth to the copier, hard candy and chocolates (personal and for giving the students for a job well done), Lysol wipes, a nice lanyard, whistle (for the playground), "Job well done" postcards for the students, a gradebook, stickers and stamps. Im sure I have missed some things but this is what I got plus a few things I think would be helpful. Also you can hit up your local education store and grab some little things she could use like little postcards, and stamps. Also i know the Dollar Tree stores here have a teacher section with all kinds of things. You can find great things there.

I hope this helps!! :dizzy:

9. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 14, 2011

I love the idea of a personalized totebag filled with her favorite snacks, the necessities listed above, nice school supplies (or even order some of the free vistaprint stuff -- business cards are always free), picture books.

Also the babysitter idea is FABULOUS!! Go help her. I am alone most times (except when I've managed to drag nephews or stepkids along...or my own children who are too small to help only hinder LOL) and having another adult to help with furniture and cleaning/organizing would have been God-sent.

You are so thoughtful and sweet. I'm sure she'd love anything.

10. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Jul 14, 2011

You are really sweet and supportive. Your wife is a lucky woman!

When I started teaching, I had a variety of junky tote bags that I was carrying my stuff around in. For Christmas, my hubby bought me a nice tote bag to carry everything in. I bet she would love a nice, roomy tote bag that she can carry her teacher edition books and things in.

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2011

You will also have to realize the first year of teaching is very time intensive so expect her to be busy, busy, busy. If you can afford it, an occasional housekeeper or those services where you can go in and premake a lot of meals and freeze are other helpful ideas.

Help her to get the house really sorted out and organized and clean before the beginning of the year would be a gift that doesn't cost anything.

What grade? If it is the lower grades, music CDs would be useful or make copies of the ones you have for your kids. Oh - a budget for clothes. The first year I worked after being a SAHM I needed to spend money on clothes and shoes.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2011

Get her a cube note pad (think sticky note size) and a teacher pencil... When I was done with one of my student teaching the teacher said all teacher's need a teacher pencil & paper...

The idea of a "gift bag" is cute. I got one when I started student teaching. If you look online there are some poems online...this might be cute from your girls & stick a little framed pic in there of them, so she can have one at work.

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 14, 2011

The best gift my husband has given me over the past 4 years (I am a career-swapper) has been support. He attends evening functions (Back to School, etc.). He helps me set up/tear down my classroom each year. I can't tell you the amount of lamination he has cut for me on Sunday evenings! Once he realized the financial circumstances of my students, he even quit fussing about the amount of my paycheck that goes back into my classroom! Just the other day, he was a Kroger & found crayons on sale and just decided to pick them up for me. That kind of ongoing support, plus letting her know you are proud of her, would be my best suggestions.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2011

I ditto the personalized teacher bag. I think that is an excellent idea, and how thoughtful of you to want to make this extra special for her.

15. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Jul 14, 2011

I heard about someone having one of these and thought it was an awesome an idea. A Kindergarten Shower! Invite family and friends to come to the celebration. They can buy little things needed for the classroom. Just an idea. :)

16. america82099

america82099 Rookie

Jul 14, 2011

Love the idea of the tote bag also. I'm sure you could get some awesome ideas here.
    My last year of school, my husband took notice of all the things I kept saying I would need for my first year, including a new wardrobe. He secretly started saving money. For my gift he bought me a treasure chest (something else I wanted for my room) and filled it with the money he saved. I was able to get a new wardrobe, and a lot of supplies.

17. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2011

I think the most helpful thing my husband does is come in every year at the beginning and end and help me with some of the work of setting up and taking down the classroom. He has saved me days worth of work or at least stress through this. He puts up my bulletin boards for me and helps me stack all the stuff on the sides of the room at the end of the year.

He also has gone out and found weird stuff I need when I realize I forgot and need it NOW! Things like fifteen bottles of bubble solution or five bags of feathers...

18. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 15, 2011

I think the best thing to give besides tangible items is lots of your time to help set up the classroom. Its the most stressful and time-consuming part at the beginning.

Please let your wife know about us here. It would be great if she joined us!

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 15, 2011

That would be an awesome idea!

I love the fridge idea, but some schools don't allow them. The 1st year is the roughest so be very supportive, know that any extra help you can provide around the house will be appreciated. So is the offer of cooking. That's kind of how Friday night pizza night started at my house. I was too tired to cook! Of course, 10 years later we've learned not to skip that. . it makes the 15 & 19 yr. old natives restless!

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2011

Stock the fridge with easy to serve meals, and hire a twice a month maid to help with the housework.

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 15, 2011

I vote for the maid and meals.

22. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2011

A really nice teacher bag embroidered with her initials is my vote. I love bags. I still have my all-leather bag from LLBean that my mom gave me when I got my first job.

My hubby takes a day off of work each year, and goes with me into school on the day I arrange my furniture. He splurges on a nice lunch, too. It's a great tradition.

23. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2011

My mom still buys me a new school outfit for the first day of school.

I love the idea of a good school bag.
    Consider LandsEnd bags if you go this route.

These are things I've bought myself for my classroom:
    laptop
    document camera
    digital camera

24. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2011

I want to know what you decided! :haha:

25. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 17, 2011

I'd rather have housecleaning services than a bag!

26. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2011

I would have loved a nice teacher tote bag. I also agree with gift certificates to teacher supply stores, and help setting up the room. It was really helpful when my husband helped me move the desks so many times.

27. greatscott

greatscott New Member

Jul 18, 2011

I really liked a lot of those ideas! She has already planned to get her diploma framed so that one's out, but I do remember her wanting a mini fridge for her classroom. So, I think a stocked mini fridge will be one thing for sure. I also liked the personalized tote filled with things she can use in the classroom.

Thanks a lot for the help!

28. greatscott

greatscott New Member

Jul 18, 2011

Oh, and by the way, when it comes to cleaning the house and child care, I'm already on it, lol.

29. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 18, 2011

Wow, Greatscott! Your wife is very lucky to have you! You are definitely a keeper!!! :)

30. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jul 18, 2011

If she doesn't already have them, a couple of Dr. Jean CDs would be something useful for the bag. Mine got a lot of use when I taught K. :)

Oh, stickers too. Lots and lots of stickers.