Need Ideas for Lost Tooth Keepers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sherri0318, Jul 15, 2007.

1. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

I'm a new teacher, teaching 1st Grade, and I'd like to have some ideas on how to "store" lost teeth (theirs, not mine...lol) so that they get home safe and sound. Any suggestions?

3. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

I wouldn't buy anything yet-every district I've worked in the nurse had teeth necklaces that she provided.

4. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

I think those little "tooth necklaces" are too tempting for the kids to play with. They come open and the tooth is history!

I give the tooth-loser a regular white envelope with "_________'s TOOTH" written on the outside in marker, and let them draw their tooth or decorate the outside. Then, we ceremonially wrap the tooth in a tissue, insert it in the envelope, tape the envelope with that wide plastic tape to prevent tampering, and send it home.

When my own son swallowed his tooth and came home inconsolable from Kindergarten, we made popcorn, he selected the piece that looked the most like his tooth, and we put it under his pillow in an envelope with a note to the Tooth Fairy. I am planning to do this in my class if someone really "loses" a tooth. ;)

5. happyteacher

happyteacher Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Plastic Easter eggs come to mind. You might have to put a piece of tape around ti to make sure it stays sealed.

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

I have my students wrap theirs in a paper towel or kleenex, and then they put it in a ziplock bag. Nurse does the same thing at my school.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

We wrote a letter of explanation to the tooth fairy when my daughter did the same thing. She wrote back remembering the time that Uncle Steve swallowed his tooth.

(She always leaves notes at my house..."nice job brushing" type stuff. :) )

8. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

I'm not fancy at all. I just put it in a small zip-lock baggie. The nice thing about that is other students can look at it, too! As a K teacher, I have lots of first-time tooth-losers and others who have never lost one but are fascinated!

9. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I usually put my kid's teeth in a ziploc and write ______'s Tooth, then the date and I draw a picture of a tooth on it. Our nurse has those tooth necklaces but it's quicker for me to do that than send them all the way over to her---I wouldn't see them for the next 30-45 minutes!!

10. eydie

eydie Companion

Jul 16, 2007

Zip-lock bag works for me and then it goes right into the back-pack! I do have a tooth chart in the room that we write their name on and a big roll of I LOST A TOOTH stickers that I bought cheap through Smilemakers..com

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

I saw once how to fold an origami tooth-shaped envelope for lost teeth...

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

How about an old ring box? Now, where could you get a bunch of these? I don't know but wouldn't it make it really special?
    I'd forgotten all about teeth...I'm going from middle school to fourth so I have to prepare for "My tooth fell out!!!" again. Sigh!! And it won't be because someone knocked it out!! LOL:D

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

For the first time in my teaching career, I had a student lose a tooth in my class this year. (First time teaching 7th grade!)

I sent him to the nurse, no big deal.

But I'm loving reading this thread!!! Any of the teacher supply stores probably have something in stock, check online.

14. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 16, 2007

15. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

I use empty tic-tac containers. I read this idea somewhere. We always joke about remembering its a tooth and not a tic-tac, so don't try to eat it! You could write ____'s tooth on the container. The containers are also good for holding coins for lunch money and broken jewelry, etc.

16. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 16, 2007

I just hand my students a zip lock bag and tell them to put it away in their backpack. Luckily, by fourth grade they've lost enough teeth that no hooplah is required. We just continue with whatever we had been doing.

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2007

Our school also provides those tooth necklaces. They put tape over them so that our kiddos won't open them. I taught kinder BTW and never had any problems. (although, I did have one student swollow his tooth, but that's another story :D )

18. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

An empty film container would work. My school uses the very small envelopes with the fastener.

19. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 16, 2007

film container....used to use that.

the mini altoids tins are another option.

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 17, 2007

I have seen tiny manila envelopes big enough for a tooth. They seal shut so the kids can't play with the tooth.

21. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Those are the envelopes that I was talking about. I didn't know what to call them.

22. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 17, 2007

I just use an envelope. I write on it, like the other posters. I have never bought fancy tooth packages or anything, because only a few teeth are lost during the year at school.

23. KIF

KIF Companion

Jul 18, 2007

Dixie Cups

"Sandwich" the tooth between two dixie cups. Staple or tape the cups together and it's good to go! You can also write the student's name and a note right on the cup.

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2007

I didn't realize kids still lost teeth in the sixth grade...so I surprised when a few did during my first year. Yuck! It grosses me out when students come up to me and use their tongue to push the dangling tooth out for me to see...I quickly turn my head when I sense that coming on!

Still, I have the student wrap the tooth in tissue, put it in an envelope, and I decorate the front with a cute font "_________'s Tooth!" I do this just to be silly (being they're sixth graders and not too into the whole fairy scene).