Need Ideas for Last Day of School

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss W, May 21, 2011.

1. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 21, 2011

:help:
    I need help planning our last day of school, which happens to be on a Saturday.

June 3rd, Friday, will be the day we have a school wide assembly. We are also sending report cards home that day. I'm not really sure how many of my kiddos will actually show up on that day. The last time we had school on Saturday in April I was the only teacher in the district that had all of their kids.

So I'm at a loss for things to do. I know, if weather permits, I'll have a picnic outside for lunch. I want to invite the parents and grandparents if they would like to come. The Wednesday before they will be joining us for our Writer's Cafe, so I'm not sure if many will show up for the last day.
    We also have 30 minutes of a health video that we'll watch near the end of the day. So besides that and special classes I have 4 hours.

Any ideas? :confused:

(Thanks in advance!)

3. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

May 21, 2011

Man- that is tough!
    Could you do something fun like make ice cream in a bag prior to your outdoor picnic or afterwards? You could do a whole science and math lesson there along with ELA to write and read about it. I will be doing this with my kindergartners in June sometime. We have already made butter. You could also maybe make kites and try to fly them- see whose flies the longest or something like that. hmm- can't wait to see other ideas you get here!

4. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

May 21, 2011

hmm... school on a Saturday? Thats interesting. Is it common for your area? I know of a few private Catholic schools that have had school on a Sunday (Catholic open house). Is the reasoning behind school on Saturday similar?

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

May 21, 2011

Have you ever made anything out of that Kid Concoctions book? You can make silly putty & other fun stuff.

I've also had my kids make rubber band balls. It takes awhile and it's fun.

Name that Tune: You play small snippets of a song & student guess the title & artist.

Don't Forget the Lyrics: Have students write a verse or chorus to songs they know. Then divide them into teams. Have students say/ sing the lyrics up to a certain point. The other teams have to write the missing words. (This activity takes at least an hour).

Take a board game from the store (Buzz Words, Apples to Apples, Scrabble) and play in teams. Or take several games from home & let students play them.

Dance Off: Have students choose songs to dance to...chicken dance, electric slide, cha cha slide, cupid shuffle, bunny hop, hustle, soulja boy-superman, birdwalk, dougie, chicken noodle soup, macarena, hoedown throwdown, etc...

Scavenger Hunt: Have a list of activities & students have to find a different person for each. (I do this at the beginning of the quarter & my students love it. If you want a copy of it just pm me you email & I'll send it. You can add/ subtract items to make it fit your kids).
    :D

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 22, 2011

I'm thinking of doing some sort of "Beach Day" on our 2nd to last day (we come back for 2 days next week, and the last day is completely filled with school-wide activities). I'm going to have them bring in beach towels and we'll read outside, we'll do some games, and do some summer/beach poetry writing. (I'm still working on the rest of the details, though.)

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 22, 2011

Nope. This is the first, and last, year we've done Saturday schools. We had 10 more snow days on top of our 5 scheduled make up days, so we had to be creative with the schedule to make them all up.

8. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

May 22, 2011

I stole this from another teacher, but...

We sit in a circle and I give everyone a piece of paper with their name in the middle. They pass it to their right, and everyone writes a positive comment on it about the person. The papers keep traveling around the circle until it gets back to its owner. The kids love reading the nice things their classmates say about them. They know I can read their handwriting, so even those few who would want to make snarky or rude comments don't.