Need Ideas for High/Scope Classroom

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by LittleStar, Sep 14, 2008.

1. LittleStar

LittleStar New Member

Sep 14, 2008

Hi, Im new to this forum site. I am a second year teacher, but this is my first year in a High/Scope classroom. Its completely different from what I did last year. There is so much to learn about High/Scope and Im overwhelmed!

Does anyone have any ideas for large group and small group activities for the first couple weeks of school? This will be the children's second week so they are still getting used to everything. I need ideas mainly for small groups. Thanks!!

:dizzy:

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 14, 2008

My mom does High/Scope with her ECSE classes and has compiled a list of small group ideas... and I just asked, but she doesn't have te file electronically; the speech path from their program does...

but off the top of her head, she just told me:

*using any type of manipulatives you have to count, sort, explore with, etc (math/fine motor)
    *use a variety of tongs, tweezers, chopsticks, etc. to transfer materials (they do sticks and acorns in the fall, bug counters in the spring, etc) (fine motor)
    *tearing paper (fine motor)
    *free exploration with crayons, markers, etc (art)
    *looking at books on a topic and talking about what they see in the books (language)
    *playdough (no tools at first, starting with balls and pancakes, then logs, then introducing cookie cutters and other tools) (fine motor)
    *use bears or other counters with small blocks or found materials to build and describe... or do over, under, on top of, next to, etc (language, etc)

Hopefully that will give you some ideas! She mentioned that H/S has several books full of small group activities that should help you out a lot if you can get your hands on them! :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  4. Robin

Robin Rookie

Sep 16, 2008

I think a big part of High Scope is the Think/Plan/Do/Review process...think of an acivity, have he materials ready but ask children to be part of using materials in open ended ways and then recording what happens. After wards compare and review. Lots of physical, hands on discovery stuff tied into literacy.

5. LittleStar

LittleStar New Member

Sep 16, 2008

Thanks for the ideas. We've been using Plan/Do/Review and its going pretty well. Centers are going great. Its just the small groups I have been having trouble with. This list should give me a great start though. Ive also located a couple books through my school that will help me with the whole High/Scope philosophy. Thanks for the help!!:)

6. SAHMof3

SAHMof3 New Member

Oct 20, 2008

Looking for a HIGH/SCOPE facility

We recently moved to N.C. from Michigan. Our care facility was based on the High/Scope curriculum, which I absolutely LOVE!! Does anyone know of any preschools in the Charlotte area that use High/Scope?

Thank you!!