Need ideas for "down time" activities

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Guest, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Jul 31, 2002

I teach a K-6 Life Skills Support class that has 12+ student that range from severe speech/language disorders to Autistic to beginning readers. I would like to create a center or "Discovery Box" for 1-3 students to go to for 5-10 minutes. I would like the activities to be for independent exploration or learning. Some ideas that I had were a bag of magnets and materials for them to experiment with or a magnifying glass and rocks or insects. They do not need to all be science based.
    Any ideas anyone has would be appreciated. I've been teaching for 14 years, and am always looking for some fresh ideas. As you all know, we have these kids for a long time and it's difficult to find new things to do. Thanks!

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Jul 31, 2002

Do you have access to a microscope? I happen to have one, and was thinking about bringing it in to school- I think the kids would love to put different things underneath it and look at them up close- closer than a magnifying glass!

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 31, 2002

Life skills... hmm...

Matching socks; folding towels; sorting silverwear (plastic untensils would work); measuring out dry goods like rice, beans, pasta; stringing beads, pasta, spools on shoe strings; lacing cards; matching shoes (old but clean ones); tie shoe strings...

Lori

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 1, 2002

Here are some activities I leave for independent lessons.
    Push pinning a seasonal paper.
    Hole punching or paper punching
    Rubber stamping
    Transferring tray with miniature objects to pinch transfer or use a tweezer from bowl to other bowl.
    I think there are a lot of 'practical life montessori' lessons like pouring, transferring that would be fun to do.