Need ideas for creating bulletin boards

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 25, 2013

So my mission is to make the best of my "classroom" this year- (without going into too much detail, the space is kind of a nightmare.) Anyway, I don't have any bulletin boards, but I do have a chalkboard that I would like to use as a bulletin board.

Can you think of any way to cover it with some kind of paper or something and a border? I can't staple into it, obviously, and taping it all over the place seems like a hot mess of a job.

Any ideas? Thoughts? I desperately need to brighten up my dismal space and have a place to hang student work.

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 25, 2013

I used a variety of colored 9 x 12 inch foam sheets to cover the back of an 8 foot long bookcase. I hot glued the foam to the wood. It really turned out great. Perhaps you could use double sided tape or duct tape to hold the sheets to the board.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 25, 2013

I'm not sure about what to do with the chalkboard (though I do like janlee's idea!), but are there other walls you can hang work on without having actual bulletin boards? My classroom last year had very limited bulletin board space, so I taped things to cabinets and used sticky clips to attach things to the walls (our walls were awful - tape wouldn't work!). I even used paper clips to clip things to the window blinds! They weren't formal bulletin boards, but they allowed me to hang up the student work and anchor charts I wanted to display.

5. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 25, 2013

The foam sheets is a really good idea, but I'm not sure my admin would be cool with me hot gluing things to school property. I need to think about if I can make the double sided tape thing work. Thanks.

6. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 25, 2013

Unfortunately, I really don't have "walls." It's an open-concept school and my "room" is as open as it comes. Some lucky teachers have real classrooms with doors. I have a tiny, crowded space delineated (if that's the correct word) by room dividers and a mish mosh of waist-high classroom furniture. On both sides of me are hallways where noisy classes walk up and down, distracting my students. Besides being a terrible learning environment, the look of the space is hideous. I'm desperately trying to think of ways to cheer it up, but my options are pretty limited. :help:

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 25, 2013

Hmm...
    I think janlee is on to something with the small sheets thing rather than bulletin board paper, since that would be difficult to hang. You could even laminate sheets of construction paper (big ones if you want) and use painter's tape to attach them to the chalkboard. You could alternate colors in a checkerboard style or do it all the same color. I just can't figure out what else would adhere something to a chalk board without damaging it. Someone else may have a better idea!

8. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

Is your board magnetic? If so, you could use magnetic tape to hang paper and/or used magnetic clips to hang student work.

Is there anywhere you could hang a clothes line? I've seen teachers use these to display student work

9. bek3

bek3 Rookie

Aug 25, 2013

Could you use a roll of magnetic tape? I'm not sure what it's actually called ( sticky on one side magnetic on the other). You might be able to get a border up with this.

Good luck!!

10. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 25, 2013

11. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2013

I actually have regular bulletin board paper and borders up on my chalkboard. My room has two chalkboards that I covered up to use as bulletin boards. I just used packing tape. Most of the tape is on the edges, which are covered by the borders anyway. I think it looks just as good as a regular bulletin board. I can try to post a picture, but I won't be back in my classroom until Friday (we have training in other buildings until then).

Last year I also just taped border around the edge of the chalkboard and taped my stuff directly onto the chalkboard. Nothing ever fell down. That also looked good since the chalkboard is a nice green color already and the border made it look nice. I just covered it with paper this year because the darker green didn't really match the rest of my room.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2013

I had a chalkboard that I covered and made a BB. I used double sided duct tape. It was easy to do and I left it up for several years.

13. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 28, 2013

What about command strips? There's also small circles that are sticky on both sides and reusable (I'm thinking maybe from 3M).
    I've seen clip boards hung for each child to display work and the clothesline or bungee cord hanging across the board could work. Would make it easy to change out papers and just put your border around chalkbd.

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 28, 2013

I saw this on Pinterest and I thought of you.

You can put down painter's tape, which won't leave a residue, and put double sided tape on top of that. Much easier and more permanent than tape loops! I'm going to do it myself this year. I'm thinking from the perspective of being at a school that is pretty strict about leaving any kind of residue on furniture/walls/boards. Maybe yours isn't as strict.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2013

Those decorative Washi tapes could make an awesome border...