Need ideas for Christmas gift exchange

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by waterfall, Dec 9, 2013.

1. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 9, 2013

My extended family always does the sort of "white elephant" exchange idea except not with bad presents, haha. We each draw numbers and number one picks a present. Number two can steal number one's present or pick a new present from under the tree, etc. In the past we've done this with gift cards. This year they've decided they want to do it with actual gifts instead. I have no idea what I can get that would appeal to anyone. Here are the parameters:

1. The gift should be around $30.
    2. NO gift cards allowed.
    3. Something men and women would like.

The age ranges in my family are mid-20's to late 70's. I can't think of a single thing that absolutely everyone would enjoy. My first thought was wine, but several don't drink, and food/treats wouldn't be worth 30 dollars.

Help! Any ideas?

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 9, 2013

Can you do a basket of special treats/snacks that would add up to $30? Maybe centered around a theme, or just fancy, gourmet items people might not generally buy themselves?

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 9, 2013

I make custom wreaths :whistle:

But in all seriousness, a gift basket would be a GREAT option. I love those wine ones with wine, cheeses, etc...

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2013

The snack basket... Get a fun movie like Despicable Me 2 comes out ( I haven't seen this one but the 1st one was cute) and do movie snacks!!!

We did a white elephant in our family but had to be something from our house we didn't want or used... hand held back massager... I liked it, but my mom got me a much nicer one that Xmas (had it before the party..so you can imagine her disappointment).

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 9, 2013

Wow, that's a tough one! I agree with food...Or what about a board game of some type? 5 Second Rule is a fun one.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 9, 2013

I love the movie and snacks idea. My family does something similar but the ages range from late teens to early nineties! We do a $25 limit. Because gifts can be swapped, and there is such a large range of ages, I always shoot for the middle. I also try to take something I like so if I don't like anything else, I can always try to get what I brought!

Food always goes over well. This year, my husband is bringing a car detail set.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 9, 2013

Ooooo I have a good idea: what about lawn games? Ladder Golf, Corn Hole, and Washer Toss are huge around here.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2013

Ooh games would be fun...head bandz is fun...They have different ones...

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 10, 2013

Yeah, tough for such an age range. You should make it more interesting & throw in an anonymous gag gift!

Let's see, how about:

- Do most of your relatives wear some kind of glasses OR sunglasses? I've got one in a similar, abstract pattern. Get a glasses holder that stands on the desk: http://www.artistgifts.com/eyeglass-holders.html

- Hickory Farms sausage & cheese basket - I know it's food, but those definitely cost $30 & up

- 2 DVD movies that most people like

- Nice scarf & mittens in a color that both genders can wear, such as grey

- 2-pack of movie theater tickets - (either 4-pack or 2-pack along with popcorn gift card at concession stand)

- A plant - I like snake plants

- A popcorn popper?

- Nice set of ceramic or sturdy coasters

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 10, 2013

I vote for a gift basket of some sort. The "movie night" basket is a great idea. Even if a DVD is $20 a lone you can get a bunch of snacks to make up the last $10.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 10, 2013

That is one of my favorites. I got one a few years ago for Christmas and we snacked on it on New Year's Eve! Now I'm craving some summer sausage!

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 10, 2013

Yeah, I like their jalapeno turkey sausage. I have one at home right now.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2013

I just picked up a box of Purdy's chocolates for our staff gift exchange/steal.

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 10, 2013

Does a large portion of your family have a favorite hobby/team/sport in common? Perhaps tickets to a local team, some sort of supplies, a book about local history, or some kind of general décor like a cool lamp. One year I got a basket with a beanie thing that you would zap in the microwave and heat. Put the beanie thing in the bottom of the basket and cover with a towel or napkin and you have a warmer bread basket for the dinner table. How about something like that?

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2013

I would go with a fleece throw, some micro popcorn, and a good old movie-- say, White Christmas or Holiday Inn.