Need ideas for better use of cubbies than mailboxes...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by passionateacher, Aug 1, 2009.

1. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

In my brand new classroom, I have a wall devoted to storage. There are 30 cube-shaped cubbies (2 rows of 15) and on top of each column of 2 cubbies is a cabinet with a coat/book bag hanger.

Instead of wasting this space to use as a mailbox system to file checked papers, I'll use a crate with hanging files for each student.

My question is: What do you think the best, most effective use for these cubbies will be?

I am debating: material for take-it-to-your-seat-centers/file-folder games, supplies (scissors, markers, crayons, etc.) Any better ideas?

I want to do Book Baskets for students to keep 3 books at a time but I'm hoping they can just keep them in the cabinet under their book bags. I'd hate to use up 25* cubbies just for book baskets.

I do have a shelf for supplies but I'm thinking this year I'll use it for my class library and use my book shelf for storage of something else, not sure what yet.

The storage above my sink is perfect for teacher manuals/binders and all the stuff I used to store in my desk. I'm getting rid of my desk this year---whoopie!

Oh and I do have 4 wide, deep built-in shelves for paper/posters so I won't use the cubbies for that.

(Ok I'm rambling :blush:).

3. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 1, 2009

I think it would be a great place to organize supplies & materials, as well as centers. You should be able to label each one clearly with its contents.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 1, 2009

I have about 20-something cubbies as well, but not enough for my class, I don't believe. I know I am not using it for their personal items this year because a few students conglomerated their cubbies last year.

Two years ago, I did the same, and I used the cubbies for extra textbooks they didn't use/some games/plastic boxes filled with materials.

5. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 1, 2009

I use my cubbies for their textbooks. We can't fit them all in our desks, so they will all go in the cubbies. Folders and workbooks will go in their desks...unless I get the tables I want, then everything will go in the cubbies.

6. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

Thanks a bunch! I always ask for others' opinions since I don't always think of the obvious---until halfway thru the year. Up until now, since they're called cubbies, I was just assuming I'd use them as cubbies. What a waste!

Now I have to figure out what I'm going to use my book shelves for---ha!:p

7. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

Goopp---you just reminded me about the textbooks! That's what I'll use the book shelves for. THANKS!

8. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

Math manips?

9. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

Yeah Beth I've been thinking about that too. I am moving into a brand new school though and don't know if they'll supply those math racks with all the primary-colored bins that my former school did. But if they don't, I'll definitely add math manipulatives to my shelves...or cubbies!

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 1, 2009

Class library?

11. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Aug 2, 2009

OOOOOh!!! Good idea!!!