Need ideas for an after school club!

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by sonflawah, Aug 17, 2011.

1. sonflawah

sonflawah Companion

Aug 17, 2011

I work at a 6th-8th school, and as a part of my contract, I need to sponsor an after school club. Some are already taken by other teachers (ASB, cooking, volleyball, art, wood working, gardening, show choir, drama, and a few others I can't recall). I don't want to do anything that would require too much planning because I have a lot of other stuff on my plate this year.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2011

What sort of stuff are you interested in outside of school?? Interests?? Hobbies???

4. sonflawah

sonflawah Companion

Aug 17, 2011

I teach science, but would like to do something different during the club time. I like animals, cooking, and camping. I would love to do something with animals, but I don't know exactly how that would work or how I could structure the club. I am not an artist... all of my ideas were taken already! :(

5. sonflawah

sonflawah Companion

Aug 17, 2011

I like reading. Do you think a book club would be boring? If there are not enough kids signed up for the club, I have to come up with a better idea.

6. roxstar

roxstar Companion

Aug 17, 2011

I don't think a book club is a bad idea at all, though I think it would depend on your students. How about a film club? Almost all kids love watching movies/TV so you would probably get a decent turn out for it. You can watch different movies and discuss the plot, direction etc. You said you aren't an artist, but you can find tons of information on the internet about dissecting/critiquing movies. You could do all sorts of fun things like having them be movie critics and write reviews or even hold your own Oscars or something. You would probably have to make sure the movies were PG but there is so much to choose from. Classic Hitchcock etc. Popcorn and movies, not much planning. :thumb:

7. KateL

KateL Habitué

Aug 17, 2011

My school is starting a Kindle book club this year. Does your school have any Kindles, or could you get a business to donate a few?

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 17, 2011

Springing off your cooking idea, what about a cooking club? One school I was at offered a "book cooks" club during lunch 1x/wk for 1st-2nd graders, where they'd read a picture book and then cook/make something related to it.

That is probably a bit below your kids, but what about doing something where they can make healthy recipes? Do you have access to stove/oven? If not, there are tons of recipes that don't necessarily require that.

9. sonflawah

sonflawah Companion

Aug 18, 2011

Love the idea of a film club. I'll be going on maternity leave mid-year so I need something that can be easily taken over by a substitute or another teacher. Film club sounds so easy and interesting as well! Gives me a chance to sit down at the end of the day. Cooking club is taken... sadly. I love that idea!

10. roxstar

roxstar Companion

Aug 18, 2011

I'm so glad I could help! I think I have to do some extra curricular activities as well so I might take that idea for myself! So, thank YOU ;) Also, congratulations! I'll be taking maternity leave mid year too!!:D

11. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2011

How about a Scrabble club? I have a competitive class set but you could just buy a couple of games (or send out a plea for donations - teachers tend to have a game). The first several meetings can be going over rules and practice. Then you can set up round robin competitions.
    http://www2.scrabble-assoc.com/

12. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 18, 2011

I like the idea of scrabble or another game, like cribbage or maybe a strategy game?

My first thought was a book club though...why not try it?

13. sonflawah

sonflawah Companion

Aug 18, 2011

My fiance had the same idea about the strategy games, but to bring in several strategy games like Risk, Monopoly, Scrabble, Chess, Checkers, etc. I am so torn now! Both the film club and game club sound like great ideas. We can run a club for only half of the year, so maybe the admin will allow me to run a film club for one semester and a game club for the next semester.

I know admin really would like me to sponsor a science club, but that would be too much for me this year. This is my first year teaching science, and I want to get my science classroom in order before I jump into a science club.

14. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2011

I was putting things together to get approval for a science club and I was concerned that it would be a lot of work as well. What if your club focused on students preparing for a science fair? They could meet regularly to work on the projects and critique each others progress.
    I did Scrabble as an activity during our fun period during school. sometimes I had a lot of interest. Other times it seemed like none of the kids had ever played the game (or any game for that matter).