Need ideas for a recycling theme

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by bridgetbordeaux, Mar 31, 2008.

1. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Mar 31, 2008

Hi
    I am new here, well I have been reading for awhile but this is my first post! I am student teaching in a PreK class and need to do a theme week. My topic is recycling
    any suggestions would be great! :)

3. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Mar 31, 2008

i made recycling boxes. i put the recycle symbol on three boxes and then labeled them also "Paper", "Plastic" and "Metal" and put a few things from around our center in each thing - my class LOVED taking the stuff out of the boxes and "recycling" it over and over again - it's a great math activity (sorting)

4. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Mar 31, 2008

just thought of something else! :) We learned a song (to the tune of "the More We Get Together"...

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Recycle Recycle
    Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, it's easy to do.

For your world is my world,
    and my world is your world.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, it's easy to do.

5. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Mar 31, 2008

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 31, 2008

I have a HUGE collection of plastic bottle caps... the kind from juice and milk jugs, water and pop bottles, etc. I use them for all kinds of hings... sorting, patterning, adding, whatever concept you're working on. I have at times put them out as a "Free choice" center and let the kids do whatever they want with them, sometimes I'll structure it. Have the kids bring them in... great way to recycle! :)

7. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Apr 1, 2008

thanks for the suggestions
    I haven't even started my planning yet but I have read so many other good ideas on this board!! I am sure I will be asking tons of questions:rolleyes:

8. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Apr 1, 2008

My mom saves coffee cans, and brings in a TON of coffee cans (as many as she can get) and tells the kids "recycle means reuse" and they spend the entire unit thinking of how they can reuse the can--to build, to store things, to sort, to play drums, etc. She has the kids come up with ideas, and they keep a list and she takes pictures of all their new ideas and some years they make a "we recycle" book with the photos of their ideas.