Need ideas and advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by storyh, Aug 28, 2007.

1. storyh

storyh Companion

Aug 28, 2007

I teach at a charter school that is 3-12. they have let 3 kids that are supposed to be in 2nd grade come to our school and be in 3rd grade even though they really aren't ready to be in 3rd grade. My question is what are some good ways to reach these three or to teach them second grade material while I teach the rest of the class third grade material? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2007

You could set the two grade level curriculums side by side and compare how similar they are to be able to teach both levels.

4. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

I was an aide a few years ago and a similiar situation happened. I remember the teacher would include them in her 3rd grade material lessons which always started with a review of what they would have learned in 2nd grade.. so the "2nd graders" would learn during the review - she would pull them once or twice a day to review with them...

not too sure how successful this was as I left mid-year.. hope this helps anyway!

5. scooby

scooby Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

just dont them feel overwelmed like iluv teachin said pull them once and a while to see how they are progressing good luck youll do fine

6. scooby

scooby Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

dont let them i meant

7. educator22

educator22 New Member

Aug 29, 2007

Meeting the Needs of Children Who are Behind

I would strongly recommend that you work with these children in a separate group using a basal reader, one that has a controlled vocabulary. In this way the new words that you introduce with be repeated over and over again, helping these children to fill in the gaps more quickly and easily. I would also recommend that you work with these children with a visual memory program such as Achieve, A Visual Memory Program that introduces basic vocabulary, helps them to learn basic phonetic clusters and develop their visual recall. It can be administered in just ten minutes each day and will developmentally advance their sight vocabulary.

8. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2007

I work with a teacher that had 5 second graders put in her
    3rd grade class. They were high level second graders. She just
    taught them 3rd grade material and passed them onto 4th.
    It was strange and we talk about it to this day. Not many repercussions (sp).