Need helping picking a book

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by JulieW, Apr 18, 2009.

1. JulieW

JulieW Rookie

Apr 18, 2009

I do a book club with my students each month. I am looking for a good one for our last month. Any suggestions? I am trying to come up with new ones that most haven't read yet. I was thinking of Mike Lupica's new one, but am open to ideas.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 18, 2009

Have you read Maniac Magee? We are doing that whole-group now and everyone is loving it.

4. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Apr 19, 2009

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan is awesome... and the fifth and final book in the series will be released on May 5th, with a movie coming out next year!

5. ImaSuperTeacher

ImaSuperTeacher Rookie

Apr 21, 2009

The Lightning Thief

I'm late coming in on this, but I totally agree with The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. :thumb: I read the first 6 chapters to my class in February during our benchmarks and told them that if they wanted to find out what happened, they would have to read it themselves! The book has not stayed in our classroom library for more than an hour since then. Plus, the kids are reading the others in the series on their own. (I just finished The Battle for the Labrynth myself.)

I can not wait for the fifth and final book! :wub: I'm looking forward to cinco de mayo!

I had no idea that there was going to be a movie! I hope it's as good as my imagination!

6. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Apr 24, 2009

they are doing a world release party at a local bookstore with a reading and signing by the author! i've put in a bus request so i can take my class, they are SOOOOO excited at the prospect of seeing gladiators and the Minotaur!

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 2, 2009

How much time is left in the school year? The Lightning Thief is fantastic, but it is a longer novel. If you need a shorter one, Summer of Riley is great. It is about a boy who spends his summer trying to save a dog from being put down by the local authorities. My 5th's loved it when we read it aloud. Mick Harte was Here is also a really good short novel. It is sad though. It is about girl mourning the death of her brother. He died because he was hit by a car when he was riding his bike without a helmet. The helmet would have saved his life. This is the author's plea to children to wear helmets and be safe. What better message to give right before summer break?

8. RunningReader

RunningReader New Member

May 3, 2009

We're reading City of Ember, and the kids are really into it! It's a little on the long side, but I've never had the kids so engaged in a book!

9. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

May 3, 2009

I had thought about City of Ember but got lazy since I hadn't read it... have you found a teaching guide or any good resources to use with it?