need help

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mschristine23, Aug 26, 2007.

1. mschristine23

mschristine23 Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

this is my first year teaching two year olds need some help and some ideas any advice u can give me would be greatly appreeciated

3. Jadegrniiz

Jadegrniiz Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

Specifically, what type of advice are you looking for?

4. FallCreekGal82

FallCreekGal82 Companion

Aug 26, 2007

I work as a sub at a early learning and daycare center. The curriculum for the 2 year olds usually revolves around a theme. They read books, create art projects, etc. For example: Insects. They might read Eric Carle books: Hungry Caterpillar, Grouchy Ladybug. Then make some sort of bugs. Go on a bug hunt outside. That way every subject is brought in.

What else might you be looking for?

5. msaly

msaly Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

i taught 2 year olds for the past 2 years. I actually love this age. Im not sure what your looking for but ill give you some starting tips. I did a monthly theme, safari, farm, heath food/nutrition, sea life, all about me, 5 senses, pets, family,etc. I would choose my center activity based on the theme. 2 year olds love to sing and dance. I suggest songs at transition times. (i had one for clean up, circle time, going out side and leaving for the day). Circle time consisted of calander, weather, talk about our theme, what we are going to do for the day, a story, and 2 or 3 fun songs/dances. keep it short 10 mins at the beginning and work your way up to 15ish mintues. make sure to give them choices for centers, but do not overwhelm them.

just some ideas of the top of my head. if you want advice on something more specific please ask!

6. mschristine23

mschristine23 Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

circle time for 2 year olds

how should i start it out for the year and introduce it in?

7. msaly

msaly Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

on the first day circle time, i usually start with a hello good morning song. then explain to them that you will be doing circle time every day and explain the rules, such as sitting on your bottom criss cross applesauce, etc. Then I did my calendar i explained what month we are in and then the days we went to school and what days we stay home, and introduced my days of the week song, then we count each day until we come to whatever day it is and put it all together today is sunday aug 26th. it will be over thier heads at first, especially if they have never been in school setting before. then we sing our weather song and pick someone to go to the window and tell us what the weather is like. then we read a story relating to starting school. i sing some songs/finger plays(such as itsy bitsy spider, i have a frog song called gong gong, bringing home my baby bumble bee) and explain to them what we will be doing next(in my case I would tell them what centers were open). you will have to adjust your schedule to your kids and it will take them some time to get used to it. just use friendly reminders and redirection works wonders!

8. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

If you can, take pictures of the kids and make a picture schedule. A good place to hang it might be next to the changing table. I find that the kids are much more relaxed about interrupting what they're doing to change diapers when they have the pictures to look at.