NEED HELP!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by krisaustin, Sep 8, 2006.

1. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Sep 8, 2006

I feel silly asking this question, but I really need help. I just graduated last spring with a license to teach students with moderate to intensive disabilities.

My question is this.......

How do you teach a student with apraxia (a speech disorder) who also has CP to read. The student knows and understands the letter sound relationship, but the sounds are not produced 100% accurartly and it takes him a moment to produce the sounds.

The student is very capable of being more than a sight word reader, but I am not sure how to instruct him. I am in real need of help. Any information would be appriciated.

3. sva

sva Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

Is there a speech/language pathologist who works with you? I think that would be a logical place to start. It could be a positioning issue - that he needs to be in a certain position to be able to produce sounds.

Good question.

4. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Sep 9, 2006

This student recieves speech services 5 days a week. There are certain sounds that he is just not capable of making.

Maybe the SLP will have suggests on different approaches to use.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 10, 2006

Can the child recognize the site words? I've had non-verbal kids who are never going to be able to ORALLY READ a list of site words, but they know them all immediately if you ask them to find a particular one... talk with your SLP to see what might be appropriate... but it seems to me that if you're trying to get her to do something she's not physically capable of, it's only going to frustrate all of you!

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 10, 2006

I work with a student with a severe phonological delay and it has been hard working with him. He writes as he speaks and it is hard for me to decipher his written work without him there because he pronounces words incorrectly. I teach him the same as I would any other student but I have to be really aware of the sounds he is unable to pronounce appropriately. I try not to increase his frustration by having him try to pronounce words correctly too many times appropriately. I figure as long as he can answer questions about the story appropriately and thus shows the ability to comprehend the story I will continue to help boost his self-esteem by giving him books to read at his "reading level". As he continues to display self-awareness of his speech impediment and is able to self-correct himself or is able to self-correct with prompts his reading will become clearer, but I wouldn't consider holding him back because of his inability to pronounce words appropriately.

7. dro

dro Rookie

Sep 10, 2006

I need help

After 13 years of teaching students with all types of disabilities, I have found technology is the best to help your student communicate. If your studnet hasn't been tested for assisstive technology that is where I would start. Ask you speech therapist to request an assessment. they will contact the special ed director in your county.
    In the mean time if you have any intructional money for your classroom. get an Edmark Cataloge and order an easy talker or a device with 4 or 8 sections that you can put pictures or even the word if your studnet can read, then have your student record the word in his/her voice or pick a friend record the word or both (his voice then friend). I hope this helps dro