Need help

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nyteacher29, Sep 24, 2013.

1. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Sep 24, 2013

Ok, long story short--- a colleague of mine and I work WONDERFULLY together, we do lessons together, everything is split 50/50 and we share everything... Is perfect. Last year we felt bad for another colleague and gave her our stuff. This year, we feel a little differently. She never really acknowledged that we gave her our sweat and hard work and always would just expect a hand out and the work given to her (she's been teaching for 17 years, but changed to our content 4 years ago). Anyways, as I said, my partner and I don't want to be giving her our stuff anymore but we don't want to seem catty or rude or "mean". We've been going back and forth as to what to say to her when she asks for our lessons. Does anyone have an idea? (More background: my partner has been at this school for about 10 years so he's been established in terms of his reputation and feels more comfortable in saying how it is. While I have a really good rep at this school it's only my second year so I don't want to be that "new girl who doesn't share"). I want everyone to succeed but to me there a difference between asking for help and taking stuff.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2013

Can you suggest setting up a convenient time for all of you to sit down and do some co-planning?

4. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Sep 24, 2013

We do have it but unfortunately the said teacher brings nothing and she stays a full week behind us. My partner and I already have our copies so she just wants ours. I love collaborating with other teachers but it seems impossible with this teacher. (She's also stuck on the negatives of teaching 24.7)

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2013

1. Have your partner tell your co-worker that you two will no longer be sharing your materials with her. Just make sure he really is comfortable telling her no and being the "bad guy."

2. Do you and your colleague really mind giving her your materials? Or, do you just want her to help you guys out and contribute more? If it is the latter, tell her that she either contributes something to the planning process or she gets nothing. Maybe have her agree to grade papers, type up the lessons/tests, make the Powerpoints you guys need, etc.

6. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 24, 2013

Been there, done that! I could have written that post at one point. To be honest, it is difficult to break someone of that habit. One strategy that sometimes works, as Go Blue recommends, is to assign her some tasks to help contribute to the lessons/projects. If she doesn't help out when asked and still expects to take the work, that would be pretty rude!