Need help!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Victoriassecret, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Victoriassecret

Victoriassecret Rookie

Jun 13, 2011

Hello all I'm new here and I am a student becoming a teacher (1st-6th grade) , one of my courses is this:

Teaching Creative Arts:

2 hours recitation, 2 hours supervised field experience; 3 credits

Analysis and application of theories and educational research in learning to the teaching of the visual arts, music, dance, and drama. Strategies for developing creative skills, aesthetic sensitivity, and an understanding of the role of materials and performance in artistic expression and classroom practice. Role and value of the arts in individual and social development in a society of varied cultures, communities, and families. Approaches and techniques that foster and deepen all children's creativity and thinking skills. Continuation of portfolio development. Work with a variety of artistic forms and media; guided field trips and supervised field experience.

Could anyone tell me what they think this class may in tale? It's four hours a week and goes like this 12:00-1:00 and than 2:00-4:00. Thanks so much and glad to be on here:)

3. Victoriassecret

Victoriassecret Rookie

Jun 13, 2011

Anything would really help! :)

4. old_School

old_School Rookie

Jun 13, 2011

Sounds like its basicly just preparing you for basic teaching skills

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 13, 2011

Sounds like it will be a class teaching you how to incorporate fine arts while teaching core subjects...

6. Victoriassecret

Victoriassecret Rookie

Jun 13, 2011

Thanks , I found out they are changing it to 3 hour field trips 4 times per semester.

7. Victoriassecret

Victoriassecret Rookie

Jun 13, 2011

Analysis and application of theory and research to the teaching of the visual arts, music and movement, dance, and drama for all young children, birth through grade two, including culturally and linguistically diverse children, as well as children with special needs. Role of materials and performance as they apply to artistic learning in young children. Approaches to integrating the arts in early childhood curriculum; place of the arts in diverse cultures and communities, with a focus on the urban experience. Development of teaching portfolio. Work with a variety of artistic forms and media, field trips, and supervised field experience.

This is a different , but similar course I could also take.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2011

Sounds like it will entail more than 'basic teaching skills'. The course description leaves some 'wiggle room' for the professor's interpretation, but it sounds like you would be learning to bring out children's creative thinking through various activities, tapping into their different ways of expressing themselves, showing their understanding through an artistic and creative manner. Sounds joyful!

9. Victoriassecret

Victoriassecret Rookie

Jun 13, 2011

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 14, 2011

Both sound like arts courses for teachers in which participants will be working hands on in various arts but also dealing with pedagogical issues. The second description suggests an orientation toward early childhood education; the first doesn't specify an age frame. It would make sense, though, to find out whether the courses are to be taken in a particular order: I notice that the second description mentions development of the teaching portfolio while the first mentions continued development of the portfolio.

11. Victoriassecret

Victoriassecret Rookie

Jun 14, 2011

Thank you! I started my portfolio and I have taken my basic education classes , if I take the first class that will be for grades 1-6 , if I take the second its birth-2nd. I must choose which degree to go with very soon. Its a hard choice!