Need help

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by mschristine23, Oct 4, 2005.

1. mschristine23

mschristine23 Rookie

Oct 4, 2005

I am taking a Masters class and I was going to do some research on communication disorders. What I was thinking about looking at were types of conidtions where the student can't talk or have a hard communicating vocally. The only trouble I am having is I am not sure what these specific types of disorders would be called. If anyone can help let me know.

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 4, 2005

Let's see. There is aphasia, apraxia, Orofacial myofunctional disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement, Right Hemisphere Brain Damage, Selective mutism, Spasmodic dysphonia, stuttering, vocal fold paralysis, autism, deafness. That is what I found so far.

Lori

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 4, 2005

5. wannabeteach

wannabeteach Rookie

Oct 4, 2005

My son has Ohdo Blepharophimosis and is completely non-verbal as most of the children with the same syndrome are.

6. mschristine23

mschristine23 Rookie

Oct 4, 2005

Thanks for the replies I substituted in a special education class yestersday, and was in the same situation where the little boy could not communicate. I wanted to focus some research on that, so thanks again.