need help!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by abbystepmum, Aug 3, 2005.

1. abbystepmum

abbystepmum New Member

Aug 3, 2005

I'm looking into attending university to study education. Was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to which types of classes I would benefit from taking more or less of. What would give me an 'edge' for hiring when finished? What helped you more in the classroom setting? any advice/help is much appreciated! ;)

Thanks
    Kate

3. mmis

mmis Companion

Aug 3, 2005

What grade do you want to teach?

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 3, 2005

The first thing I would suggest is to find out what the requirements are for the major that you want to pursue. I know that one problem that many people have is find out during their senior year that they missed one or two classes along the way and then end up taking classes at night during student teaching or taking summer classes before being allowed to graduate. If you're planning on teaching the younger grades, preK-6 or so, definitely take some sort of child development course. It's a good possiblity that there will be one required for the major anyway! :)

5. abbystepmum

abbystepmum New Member

Aug 4, 2005

major

I am looking to teach grade 1-2-3 but i'm not sure what i should major in? I don't know if i should generalize most of my classes b/c elementary usually teach all subjects. I would love to major in Social studies, but i don't know if that would be an advantage or not? any input is appreciated.
    thanks
    kate

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 4, 2005

Again, check with your university... they probably have specific requirements, and it seems like every program is different... I feel that I really benefitted from my classes in Special Ed and Psychology.

7. DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

I also think it would be great if you could take special education courses. At my college there was a minor called special education/inclusion. I decided to have that has my minor. Now that I've graduated and have been teaching for 2 years I am so glad I took those classes. On the many job interviews I have had a majority of the principals have loved that I graduated with that minor.

Good Luck!

8. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Aug 4, 2005

In Ohio teaching jobs are scarce. However there is always several job openings in special education. I would advise anyone who wants a teaching job immediately upon graduation to become certified in either special ed or gifted education.

9. abbystepmum

abbystepmum New Member

Aug 4, 2005

thank you guys for the input. i will check it out with the university.
    kate

10. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Aug 4, 2005

For that grade level, be sure to take reading decoding courses. Also, many schools will want you to have assessment training and classroom management skills.

Good luck!