Need help writing a BSP

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by jennyjenjen, Apr 18, 2010.

1. jennyjenjen

jennyjenjen Rookie

Apr 18, 2010

Hi Everyone,
    I'm writing my first BSP, I'd love some input from you all. I got stuck at #5. Here is what I have so far.

1. The behavior impeding learning is:
    B*** comes into class 5 to 15 minutes late 3-4 times a week or he does not come to class at all. When he is in class he does not attempt assignments instead he puts his head down on the desk and tries to sleep. He does not respond to his teacher's verbal prompts to put his head up or to get to work. When prompted to get up B*** will moan or act like he is sleeping.

2. It impedes learning because:
    B*** is not in class to receive instruction.

3. The need for a BSP is:
    Moderate

4. Frequency or INtensity of behavior: During 3rd quarter, B*** was truant 25% of his classes. He had 31 absences in 1st period, in period 4 he had 11 absences and 18 tardies.

5. What are predictors for behavior?
    B*** skipped his 1st period PE class 31 out of 47 days in 3rd quarter. He often skips other classes when he does not want to go to class.

6. What supports the student in using the problem behavior?
    Peer status is gained for misbehaving

I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly. Any help would be appreciated.:hugs:

3. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 19, 2010

I assume a BSP is a BIP, but under a different name (akin to how IEP meetings are called ARD meetings in Texas)?

For #5, what makes him want to skip classes? Does he not understand the material? In the case of gym, does he not want to change his clothes in front of other students? Does he skip because he doesn't think he will perform as well as the other students?

4. JustJim

JustJim Companion

Apr 19, 2010

This is kind of fun to do, when I'm not doing it for a grade or an impatient employer. What did you come up with on the FA?

On #1, try to break it down further into discrete quantifiable behaviors, ones that when someone else looks at it, they will get similar answers. "Does not attempt assignment"--how do you know? How would I know, given that I don't know this student or his typical behaviors and the norms of the classroom?

#2 should address each of the behaviors you listed/described in #1.

On #3, I'm not sure how they quantify "need." Around here, the two popular formats I see look at frequency and intensity, then factor in the potential for injury to self or others, property/physical objects, etc. Then they may consider the potential for disrupting others.

On #4, do you have data on frequency and intensity? How often is he late, how much is he late? That information may affect the approach you take in the BSP.

On #5, for "predictors" think "precursors." What are the antecedents of the target behavior (but to answer this you need a good definition of the target behavior, and may need to re-analyze data or re-do observations).

On #6, for "what supports the behavior" think "rewards." What does the student get when he doesn't arrive in class, or is late. He gets peer approval, but he also gets out of doing the work. What else?

Remember the ABCs--Antecedent, Behavior, Consequence--when you find one you can work both directions to identify the others. it is just usually easier for us to find/describe the behavior first. Once you have the target behavior, "all" you have to do is work out the details. (If only it were that easy!)

Jim

PS: Bros--if I recall correctly, "BIP" is "Behavior Improvement Plan." Some states are now using "BSP" (Behavior Support Plan), but you still occasionally see "BMP" for "Behavior Management Plan."

5. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Apr 19, 2010

These sound like parts of an FBA (functional behavior assessment), but without the detail of an FBA. In a functional behavior assessment, there are a lot of questions about exactly where and exactly when and under what other circumstances the behaviors occur, and what supports are currently in place. That really helps when you are writing the plan (for us, that is a second document - the BIP).

It sounds like you are writing this yourself - it should be a team effort - any other staff have input?

It sounds good and like you have put a lot of thought into it - just make sure that the info you have gathered is going to help you make a viable plan - not just another document to be filed.

Best of luck,
    L

6. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 20, 2010

Behavior Intervention Plan

It's what comes after a FBA is performed.

Also, I just learned the ABCs last week in my Educational Psych class. :p

7. jennyjenjen

jennyjenjen Rookie

Apr 21, 2010

Ok, time to change my behaviors. B*** was found ditching class and smoking pot at a friend's house today.

8. QueenShan

QueenShan Rookie

Apr 26, 2010

Love it...well, sounds like most of the kids I have dealt with! Glad to know it's not just me!

9. pontiac8411

pontiac8411 Rookie

May 10, 2010

Are you teaching one of my kids.....j/k. Same thing here