Need Help Wording Weaknesses

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by bbb33x, Nov 22, 2006.

1. bbb33x

bbb33x New Member

Nov 22, 2006

I am having a problem being able to word a child's weaknesses on a referral form. I want for this student to be able to receive special ed services that she needs but of course before i can get the process in motion I need to fill out 6 pages of paperwork. Does anyone have a list of student weaknesses or know of a site?
    Thanks-
    B:)

3. lisap

lisap Companion

Nov 23, 2006

Rather than focusing on the weakness, can you describe her performance compared to the rest of the students? I would suggest writing a statement that comares her level or performance comared to her peers. For example, if the class average on the last chapter test was 83%, she scored a 54%. Or, if students are asked to write a 5 sentence paragraph and she can only write 2 sentences. If students are able to complete the times table in 5 minutes with 100% accuracy and she needs 8 minutes, I would write that.

If you would like to give an example of her weakness, I would be glad to help write the wording - I'm sure others would love to chim in also!

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 23, 2006

Are you looking for behavioral, social or academic terms (or all of the above)?

5. bbb33x

bbb33x New Member

Nov 24, 2006

I am looking for academic. Thanks!

6. bbb33x

bbb33x New Member

Nov 24, 2006

Her weaknesses seem to be in retaining information. Reading comprehension is not good either. Math is a nightmare. Her behavior and socialization is no problem. She is a sweetheart.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 24, 2006

Achievement inconsistent with her average or above average intelligence.

Unable to routinely apply mechanics of writing and spelling in written assignments.

Doesn't complete assigned "seat work" without supervision.

Needs frequent redirection.

Unable to remember and follow 2 or 3 verbal directions.

Unable to combine modalities - listening and doing, combining sound and written symbols in reading and writing.

Difficulty completing task in allotted time.

-- You could write down her reading level, whether or not she is a word caller, a fluent reader... For math you could talk about whether or not she has basic math skills (+, -) -- does she draw objects, count on her fingers...

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2006

The above would not be professional wording for an official document!! Perhaps something like:

Susie is a delightful child who exhibits appropriate social skills. She enjoys interacting with classmates and enjoys working in partnerships. She respects class rules and school codes of conduct. Reading comprehension is challenging to her. Interventions taken to support her in this area include (list what you have been doing to help here) but she still has difficulty with retelling what she has read and answering questions on the text. Susie also seems to have difficulty retaining new information. Strategies used to help reinforce new concepts include: (graphic organizers, class charts, etc) but Susie still struggles when she needs to recall information on her own.