Need Help with what to drop from my curriculum due to lack of time

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Ou Tannie Teach, May 5, 2015.

1. Ou Tannie Teach

Ou Tannie Teach New Member

May 5, 2015

Any suggestions from knowledgeable teachers on what is most important to include in a first year high school chemistry class ?
    I do not have sufficient time left to complete the curriculum. Which topics do you consider to be most important, or how would you rank them in importance - Gases, Stoichiometry or Organic Chem ?
    Thank you.

3. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

May 5, 2015

When I took high school Chemistry (honors) we didn't have time to get to organic chemistry. That's what our teacher decided to drop.

4. bartleby

bartleby Rookie

May 5, 2015

Hmm, this is coming from a physics major who only took chem 101 in college, not a chem major or even minor, so keep that in mind. I would keep Stoichiometry though. I remember it being a little challenging the first time around in high school and I was glad to have seen it before in college. I think that one is definitely worth it. Between the other two its hard to say. I guess it really depends on the specific topics and level of depth. What were you thinking of doing?

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 5, 2015

What is the next course in the sequence? Speak with that teacher and ask what they think. That teacher is the one who is going to be most affected by whatever decision you make.

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 5, 2015

I have been teaching chemistry a long time and I would definitely cover stoichiometry. Any higher level chemistry is going to assume that they know this from their 1st chemistry. If you have any time left over then do gases. Do not worry about organic because it is very seldom in a 1st year chemistry course. Before you do gases, make sure they totally understand stoichiometry.

7. Ou Tannie Teach

Ou Tannie Teach New Member

May 5, 2015

So appreciate the quick responses. They help a lot.
    It sounds like Stoichiometry is a must, followed by Gases. I introduced Organic a few years back because their next class is Biology, but it never was part of the course before that.
    Any suggestions for good Group (or single) Projects for Gases ?
    Thank you.

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 5, 2015

You could split into groups and have each group explain and demonstrate one of the gas laws. There are many simple demos using common materials all over the internet.