Need help with Teaching Portfolio

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by luvteaching25, Apr 1, 2007.

1. luvteaching25

luvteaching25 Rookie

Apr 1, 2007

Hi everyone,

I wanted to get some feedback on developing a porfolio. I have only taught Pre-K and was thinking of including this in the portfolio:

-Letter of Interest
    -Resume
    -Philosophy
    -Lesson Plan Samples
    -Pictures
    -Parent-Teacher Conference Samples
    -Letters of Reference
    -Transcripts

Should I include anything else??

3. luvteaching25

luvteaching25 Rookie

Apr 1, 2007

How long should the philosophy be?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2007

I'm guessing a few paragraphs, nothing more.

5. luvteaching25

luvteaching25 Rookie

Apr 1, 2007

Thanks, Alice

Do you think I should include a paragraph on Assessment and Classroom Management in my portfolio or should it go with the philosophy? Or should I even include it?

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2007

Honestly, I'm not sure either is really important.

The purpose of the portfolio is to get you an interview: to present the reader with enough information to intrigue him or her. Ideally, they'll then take a look at your resume and call you in for an interview.

So I place tons of importance on the cover letter and the resume. That, and possibly your philosophy, should sell the reader.

The rest is all backup to the information in those 3 places. The lesson plans can easily be gotten off the internet, so I'm not sure I can see their value.

7. luvteaching25

luvteaching25 Rookie

Apr 1, 2007

Since I already have an interview set, do you think I should even bother writing on these topics. I had an interview last week with another district and the principal did not even bother looking at the 'Portfolio' I had ( not finished, but figured it was best than nothing)

-By the way, thank you so much for your imput, thanks to your imput on the cover letter, I got two interviews at a Job Fair. They are really worth it!

8. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 1, 2007

I think you should definitely have a portfolio in case you're asked for it. Perhaps something you could leave with the interviewer would be beneficial (like your phil of ed and a sample lesson) to really work on.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2007

You're so welcome!

I like the idea of pictures, particularly if the background shows something interesting (as opposed to you, in front of the class, writing on the board.)

And definitley have a portfolio, since you have the time.

But I would concentrate more on the interview. Hit the interview thread and answer the questions to yourself first, then compare with the responses. Take notes, not to bring with you, but to have in mind.

Then hit the school/district websites and prepare yourself with some questions to ask. Know their philosophy and priorities.