Need Help with study - short interview on Disability Credos

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Crissa, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Sep 17, 2011

I am currently studying and need to do a short interview on a colleague's opinions/beliefs/morals etc on some of the issues surrounding disability. I have come here because I would like an anonymous and truthful opinion. I need just one or a few sentences on each topic as listed below. Thank-you for taking the time to help me.

What are your Beliefs/Values:
    Labelling:
    Mainstreaming:
    Disability as a Deficit:
    Access and Equity:
    Empowerment and Advocacy:
    Diversity:
    Inclusion:

I can offer more specific question if needed and can also define the topics for clarification.

I hope someone can help me out with a response.

3. Teach36

Teach36 Rookie

Sep 18, 2011

Response to Disability Credos

Labeling: we have been informed that it is acceptable to say "the student with _____________" rather than the _____________ student.

Inclusion: Mixed feelings about this. Who wins in this situation? Often, neither the high performer nor the low performer actually wins. I do believe that a low performing student's performance can be improved by being exposed to a full curriculum. The high performer's achievement is enhanced when tutoring in the classroom. I do not think it is fair to expect teachers to deal with both situations optimally at once. Nor is it fair to judge a teacher's performance based on student scores for state assessment tests, unless adequate personel have been provided to help teach and monitor both types of students.

4. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Sep 19, 2011

thanks for your help Teach36:cool:

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 19, 2011

Disabilities do create differences and potentially deficits in some areas but all people with disabilities have areas of strengths and often the disabilities themselves influence those strengths.