Need help with some themes

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by JenK26, Nov 22, 2010.

1. JenK26

JenK26 Rookie

Nov 22, 2010

Hi all,
    My name is Jen. I was recently hired as a four year old lead teacher. I am trying to plan for some upcoming themes for December. What kind of things do you do for the following themes:

Pairs(mittens, boots)
    Gifts and sharing
    Months of the year and the four seasons

Thanks all! Can't wait to hear from everyone.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 22, 2010

Pairs...have them paint with both hands, make a crayon drawing and then rub it onto the other side of the paper, puzzles, and concentration...

Gifts and sharing...practice taking turns, write a story together, make a picture together, make something for a friend, family member, teacher...

Are you focusing on December and Winter or are you teaching the 12 months and 4 seasons?

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 22, 2010

Something else fun with pairs... I usually focus on Winter in January, and do some time with winter clothing...

I have some mittens with letters, shapes, patterns, number, etc on them, and the kids match the mittens (upper case to lower case, shape to shape, number to dots, depends on the group).

I also have REAL mittens and gloves, and the kids LOVE putting them on and looking for the matches.

Another fun thing is giving them 2 identical cutouts- mittens work, you could also do boots- and have them decorate them so they are the SAME. This is a hard concept but the older kids can generally do it... for younger kids, it might be one piece of ribbon, 2 stickers, etc... something simple...

For boots, I have some sponges I cut in the shape of a boot, the kids draw a winter scene and then sponoge paint on a pair of boots (so we're working on the concept of "two"). Then they dictate where their boots are going. So many skills in that activity!

Along those lines, I also give thme a cutout of 2 mittens (they pick the color), a hat (they pick the color), and 2 circles. The larger circle they make their face on, the smaller circle is a snowball. They make themselves holding the snowball, then dictate "My snowball is _____." They look ADORABLE hanging on the wall... of course, we do this after we've actually explored snowballs... so that might have to wait until you get some snow, depeending where you are :)

5. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Nov 22, 2010

Boot painting. If you can find an old pair of boots, the children wear them, step in paint, then make prints by walking on large paper. Similar to the boot tracks in Keats Snowy Day.