Need help with resources

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sandytoes, Nov 28, 2017.

1. sandytoes

sandytoes Rookie

Nov 28, 2017

I am struggling to come up with activities or resources for the skill "choose the best sentence to complete the passage". Does anyone have anything that would help teach this or any ideas for me? I am drawing a huge blank on this! :( Feeling silly because I can't come up with anything.

Thanks in advance for your help!

3. Danielle863

Danielle863 New Member

Nov 28, 2017

What grade is this for?

4. sandytoes

sandytoes Rookie

Nov 28, 2017

6th grade, non-proficient students.

5. Danielle863

Danielle863 New Member

Dec 6, 2017

Have you tried letting them work in groups to complete the assignment? So they can discuss it rather than just picking something and moving on? Or even letting them make up their own passages and having other students pick the best sentence to complete them?

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 6, 2017

What is the context for this skill? It sounds like something that should be infused in a big picture concept.

7. Been There

Been There Habitué

Dec 8, 2017

As you may have noticed, your post is way too vague for anyone to offer specific suggestions. At best, we would just be taking blind stabs at your question. Let's see if I can break this down for you.

Instructional objective: Choose the best sentence to complete the passage.

Assumptions
    :
    1) Students possess the requisite reading skills necessary to read and comprehend the passage.
    2) Students possess the requisite reading skills necessary to read and comprehend the sentence options provided.
    3) Students have learned a basic strategy for evaluating the appropriateness each of the sentence options.

Clarification:
    Being able to choose the best sentence to complete the passage is not a specific skill, is a reading competency that involves a set of skills that are learned according to a developmental sequence.

Where to begin instruction
    : This would depend on what students have already learned (i.e. #1, #2, or #3 above.) It would be presumptuous (and foolish) to teach students a strategy for evaluating the sentence options (#3) if in fact they lack the necessary reading skills to comprehend the passage to begin with!

Suggestion: I would assume your non-proficient students are functioning several years below grade level (3rd-4th grade?), in which case you may want to consider using text that is at their instructional reading level. Select a passage (i.e. a short descriptive paragraph) for students to read, but cover the final sentence beforehand. Then have the class brainstorm some ideas for suitable concluding sentences - just write them on the board/screen without passing judgement. Have the class discuss the suitability of each proposed sentence - let them vote for the one they like the best. Ask reflective questions to guide the discussion and help students to arrive at the best sentence to complete the passage. Be sure to give them your opinion and justify your choice. Practice this activity several times on different days until students are able to demonstrate their competency with this instructional objective. This is not an easy lesson for students because there are an infinite number of ways that a paragraph might end - consequently, their familiarity with English and reading proficiency are essential factors.

8. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Dec 9, 2017

This can be a tough objective to teach from scratch. As Been There alluded to, if students are experiencing difficulty mastering this single skill, then probably they are lacking prerequisite skills. I'm going to take a guess that probably they have not been reading independently nor have been read to on a regular basis throughout their 11-12, often a safe diagnosis. I think I would emphasize a free reading time from student chosen books and magazines, and a daily read aloud. For the independent reading, I'd preselect a variety of resources and levels, and emphasize interest level over reading level. In my opinion, we can teach skills all day, but if the students don't practice the skills in actual reading, our teaching is worthless.

For specific activities for your objective of choosing a concluding sentence, I've done similar activities (for various objectives) with sentence strips. For your objective, I might create (on Word, using a large font for ease in construction) a copy of a paragraph taken from several books. In other words, I'd have several paragraphs, but each paragraph is from a different book. While typing, I'd hit return after each sentence, so that I could cut each sentence separately. I'd place all the sentences in a paper bag. In cooperative groups, the students would sort the sentences into paragraphs and glue stick them onto construction paper, a different color for each paragraph.

I thought of a variation to another activity I've used, that might also fit your objective. As an entire class, a student stands in front of the class and states an original topic sentence. Other students are chosen to stand next to this student with a supporting sentence. Example: Student 1 might say, "It is important to eat lots of vegetables and fruits. Student 2 might say, "Vegetables and fruits have lots of vitamins and minerals." Student 3 might say, "There are many vegetables and fruits to choose from." (And so on).

Been There likes this.