Need help with picture schedules

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by karebear76, Aug 22, 2008.

1. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 22, 2008

Hi all! I will need to make a picture schedule for the first time this year. I have a student that I think will benefit from a tangible schedule to track the school day. There is a lot of anxiety...when is my daddy coming? I think my daddy is here. I want to go home. When is recess? When is lunch? etc....

I've never made one, nor seen one. Can you suggest any online resources or share one of your own with me?

The student is identified ADHD & bipolar. I'm still waiting on paperwork from previous school so I have no background beyond anecdotal from parents.

Should I take digi pics of places & people then use computer to create it, or just find clip art that is appropriate?

How should it work? Velcro dots to make pictures removable?

I'd like it to fit in her folder so a regular size sheet of paper.

Typical behaviors: talking out, out of seat, 2 minute attention span, refusal to work, playing with objects, desire to watch cartoons, ....

Thanks for any help you can share!
    Kerry

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 22, 2008

4. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 22, 2008

Hi Kare. :) I've seen many a pic schedule in my time. They range from a laminated piece of cardstock 4" x 6" with three velcroed pics on there, to file folders with dozens of choices. Here's the file folder version:

[​IMG]

For this one, Alex would create his own schedule for the day by choosing the appropriate pics from the left side and putting them in numerical order. When the activity was done, the pic would be moved to the spot right next to itself. "Finished."

I've always used Boardmaker software for the pics but if you don't have it, it is pretty costly at about $300. But heck, you could use any kind of clip art. As long as it's generic enough for the kiddo to understand, you know, nothing too flashy.

Good luck!

5. Rockys_Mom

Rockys_Mom Rookie

Aug 22, 2008

I really like Boardmaker as well. It is pricy, but a great investment for a spec ed classroom.

I'm personally a fan of both classroom schedules and then personal schedules for students with anxiety issues, no matter their disability. When I student taught, we had a young man who every day had a combo graphic and word schedule and would cross out an activity when he was done. Very similar to ZoomZoomZoom's just in a paper format. We'd send them out, get a lot of them copied and at the end of the day, he'd pull the next days out and put it in his folder.

If you have a school supply store nearby, they may have a print shop or graphics type program you can buy that does black line or generic pictures for cheaper then boardmaker. Also hit up something like Half Priced Books or another book/dvd/etc resale shop. Sometimes they have cheap clip art programs.

I can see if I can find a copy of my boardmaker schedules when I go back to school on Monday if you'd like.

6. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 22, 2008

Here is a great site that has a lot of pictures of schedules.
    www.autism4teachers.com
    I use a long strip of velcro on poster board and then put the day up from top to bottom---wish I had a picture. Starts with "put bookbag up" and ends with "dismissal". At the bottom I have a plastic index card holder that I cut the lid off for the kids to put the icons in as we do each activity in our routine. I also have a couple "oops" pictures that means that I'm changing things from the usual schedule and it helps a lot.

7. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2008

Check out www.do2learn.com -- some great printable cards there (with and without the words). I always think it's a good idea to include the words to promote literacy.

8. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

9. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 23, 2008

Thanks everyone! I've got some researching to do. I'm not familiar with Boardmaker, so I don't even know what it can do.

Kerry

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 23, 2008

here's pictures of some that I used in my preschool special ed class... this system (that was set up before I got there) actually had the kids physically take the picture from their schedule to the location that activity occcured in (to the music room, to the circle time area, work station, etc)... but it's the same principal. ;)

I had a kid on all words, some who needed a choice of their activity (work independently or work with me), some who could only handle 1-2 pictures at a time (or they thought the whole thing was a free choice), and some who were OK with having the whole day/afternoon on one schedule.