Need help with one little girl

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by FarFromHome, Aug 30, 2008.

1. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2008

I have a little girl in my class who I know I'm going to need help with. She has a very low IQ-she actually came from an all special education class of 8 students, ranging from 1st-3rd grade. Now she is in a 3rd grade class of 23 with me. She is not able to write very much beyond her name. She can yell things out, talk to herself, and constantly distract the class.

She hasn't been so bad this week, but next week we start our curriculum and special education classes don't start for another week. She was already starting to get frustrated and push her desk around yesterday. I read in her file that she also hits, kicks, and bites. She hasn't done it yet-but I think next week when she gets really frustrated with the work-that's when it will come out.

I'm really worried. I don't think my class is the right spot for her, but I also don't think they will be in a hurry to get her out of there. Any suggestions?

3. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 30, 2008

Can she read?

4. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 30, 2008

What can she do independently? Some kids with special needs do great on the computer with headphones. Is there someone who can come in to work with her 1-on-1 until her Special Ed. classes start?

If not, then you'll have to do your best to teach everyone and then work with her as everyone else is working.

I have substituted in classrooms before where there may be 1 or 2 students with special needs and they were working/learning on the computer.

5. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 30, 2008

I am so sorry. I always wonder why special education classes start later than we do. They say it is to get the children use to our class ad part of it. But with your little student, she is just going to get increasingly frustrated. My only suggestion is to find some easy work she can do, even if it's coloring. Or like tennisplayer said, does she like the computer?

6. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 30, 2008

That's the worst thing about inclusion...the lack of support. Check and see if the kdg. or 1rst grade has some materials that are more appropriate for her. I wouldn't put her on computer for work time simply because she will very quickly learn that if she acts up, she gets to do "fun" stuff. Here is a good website that you can use to print off some lower academic items:
    www.makinglearningfun.com
    Hope that helps!

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 30, 2008

Try to spend one-on-one time with her each morning while kids are doing seat work. Try to build a relationship with her so she knows you care about her. As suggested, get some coloring activities, cut and glue, tracing spelling words with colored markers, anything that she likes and can be successful at. You will have to modify the lessons for her so she does not get frustrated. Find out what kinds of things calm her down or keep her from getting frustrated.

And don't put up with kicking or tantrums for one minute. Call the office and tell them you need a child removed from your room and get down there asap!

8. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Aug 31, 2008

Just because special ed classes don't start for another week, there should be someone in your building available for pull-out. She obviously is not able to sit in a class all day long- check her IEP and see what her modifications are and get ready to use them. If she is physical, you definitely need to know what resources are available to you. Check with her special education teacher. Have a plan ready in case she does get physical- you don't want to get harmed and you don't want your other students to get harmed.

I would also do the above mentioned things- get to know her one-on-one. You are new to her so you need to get to a level where she feels comfortable. If students are working on addition- have her trace and count on a number line. If students are writing- have her practice her letters on pre-printed pages that guide her to form the letters correctly.

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 31, 2008

One thing I have noticed in my work with kids with special needs over the years - they are very astute in some ways, and consistently confront the new adult or authority in their lives as if thinking "Are you REALLY in charge? I'm just checking to make sure." So expect her to challenge you to see if you are really in charge.

10. aMomNteacher

aMomNteacher New Member

Aug 31, 2008

I agree with bonneb's replies. These children are often very astute. I also think it is very important to let her know that you care. Can she be a special helper? Somehow make her feel important and a part of the class. It would also be a very good idea to give her work she could do, though it would have to be something she could do on her own. Have you ever tried using dot patterns, I have had amazing success with them.
    Good luck.

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2008

Thank you for the answers. I just remembered that I posted this-I have been so busy with her this week! Luckily one of the special ed aides has been pulling her during our reading block, but she is still here during math and language. One day she got up on her stomach on her desk during math with her arms and legs up like she was trying to fly. Later she sat under her desk and drooled.

I don't know how she does on the computer. She has to be walked step-by-step through most things. I only have one student computer, and they need it for AR, so I don't know if that will work.

I have a separate stack of math papers just for her, so she does her own math. The problem is that she still is unable to really do that on her own. She needs someone with her, no matter how simple it is. No one has come to observe her or anything yet!

12. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 4, 2008

During language could she listen to a book on tape at a listening center? Or have her practice writing "My name is _______________." and other simple student related sentences....

Do you have Tangrams? She could work on those during math indepedently. Also manipulatives where she had to sort by color, shape, size, etc.

Good luck. :)

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2008

Thanks-those are good ideas! I had open house tonight and got to talk to her parents. Apparently they wanted her in a special ed program because that is what she's always had. It was our special ed teacher who decided she should try and be in a regular classroom. I'm a little upset about that tonight. Not for me, but for the poor little girl who could be learning so much more in a classroom better suited for her.