need help with my first week of teaching

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by newteacher52, Jul 31, 2010.

1. newteacher52

newteacher52 Rookie

Jul 31, 2010

i just got a promotion to teach 3 yr old and i start in 1 week. I wanted to start the year with an "all about me" theme, so that everyone can get to know eachother. Any ideas? Also, i'd like to know where to find an assessment tool that is age appropriate for 3 yr olds so that i can assess my students during the first few weeks of school.

thank you so much for you help.

3. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jul 31, 2010

I also teach 3's and find a "Welcome to Preschool" type theme better for the first week or two. If this is their first experience with preschool, they really don't care about the other kids as much as missing Mom (tears) and the toys. I like to use this time to work on rules and routines, making preschool a happy place to come, and begin to work on name recognition.

Good luck with teaching.

4. newteacher52

newteacher52 Rookie

Aug 1, 2010

Thank you, what kind of activities would you do for this? I mean for art and academics?

5. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Aug 1, 2010

I start will All about my school, too. I take pictures and make a book for each child - This is the playground. This is my locker. etc. They love it! We make list of things we can find in school and tear pics from school supply catalogs to go with the list. We label the classroom shelves together. We play lots of games where I choose something from the center areas and then the student has to take it back to the right spot. Learn our transition songs and practice our routines. We are in a PreK through 4 public school and the kids love to go on scavenger hunts - good practice for walking in the hall and the steps.

6. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Aug 1, 2010

K3 has good ideas. As for art, it is more of an instruction thing (how to use/put away paint, glue, markers...). I especially like to do finger painting and collage as we cover the basic six colors the first two weeks. And I really like to do class murals where I cover a table with a giant sheet of paper and the class roller paints, sponge paints, roll cars through paint for tracks, that sort of thing. We then cut the mural into a giant shape and I will incorporate their photos into it.

The sensory table and play dough table are a good way for the children to begin socializing. I start with rainbow rice (rice I dyed in the 6 basic colors) and a very smooth, homemade play dough.

7. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Aug 1, 2010

We do about the same things for art the first couple of weeks. We introduce something from the art shelf and then they kids can explore with it. Our art is all open ended/process all year. We just over a little more guidance the first couple of weeks.

8. ECE123

ECE123 Rookie

Aug 9, 2010

We read and do activities that correspond with "The Kissing Hand", for the first two weeks of school. (In case you aren't familiar), the story is about a little raccoon who is afraid to go to school. I"m always amazed at how much the kids relate to it and enjoy reading it again and again. Plus, you can incorporate all the "learn about my school" stuff to go with it.

9. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 10, 2010

My biggest suggestion for the first two weeks is "Model, Model, Model" and be really strict.

My first year I was a pushover, and I hated it all year long. I mean... I loved what I did, but those kids pushed me around and I was ready to quit. From the following year on.. I set the rules with them, and stay pretty hard on them for a while. By the end of October I can ease up a bit, and by January we are a ~ okay and things can really ease up.
    Also, I am really big on teaching my class independance. (Like putting away lunch kit, folder, etc... getting them to do as much as I can on their own.) Is it because I am a slave driver? NOPE. It is because now a days they do not have many chances at home to do things for themselves. They are babied. That is fine at home. But at school no one has time to baby 15 children at one time. I have also learned the ones who are able to be more independant, have a better learning rate.

10. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

I agree! I find myself kind of shy and not really starting conflict but in the classroom I would say I am pretty strict. its not because I enjoy being mean but its because I want them to learn and do things on their own. They are never going to learn unless some enforces them to do things. Its just little things like not talking about problems, hitting or biting eachother instead of using their words, not hanging up their things or putting their toys back in the right spot. Its always amazing how you can tell right away which kids are "babied" or have no discipline at home.