Need help with literacy centers

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by clavoie11, Sep 1, 2011.

1. clavoie11

clavoie11 New Member

Sep 1, 2011

Hello all. I am a brand new first grade teacher and am having a lot of trouble setting up my center workboard and getting that under control. I thought I had a plan and it's just not working. Any and all suggestion about how to get centers underway and how you incorporate guided reading into that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

3. newteacher52

newteacher52 Rookie

Sep 1, 2011

I'm student teaching in a 1st grade classroom, I really like the system my CT uses. She has a magnetic bored with 4 rotations: two tubes with different worksheet type activities, guided reading and centers (she decides a head of time which ones will be open and they can only do each center once a week so that each center is completed). The students on their desks have a center chart, they cross off everyday which center they have completed to help them keep track of where to go the next day. Whenever the groups rotate (she divided the class into reading group levels for guided reading), she goes over to the magnetic board and announces which group goes where. I'm sorry if this is confusing, it works really well. Just let me know if you have any questions.

4. WhoDatTeacher

WhoDatTeacher Rookie

Sep 6, 2011

In my grade 1 student teaching classroom we had great literary centers. Centers were focused on a theme for each week or weeks depending on how much got done. Students were broken up into 8 groups of 3 and would rotate centers daily. I will describe some of them for you here:

Dictionary Center: Students were given a sheet of paper with a word spelled out, for example leprechaun in March. Students needed to look through the dictionary in order to write and illustrate a word for each letter in leprechaun: such as lemon for L, elephant for E, etc. For this center students only needed a pencil, crayons and a dictionary.

Listening Center: Students listened and followed along with a book that went along with the weekly theme. At the end students needed to rate the book giving 1-5 stars. Students then needed to write a sentence describing their favorite part of the book and illustrate a drawing that described their favorite part. This center needs paper, pencil, crayons, tape player, book on tape, book.

Make-A-Book Center: Students were given pre-made construction paper books. (about 8 pages including cover) Students needed to follow (not copy) a model book based on the weekly theme. For example, in the winter time students created a book about activities they liked or wished to partake in during the winter time such as: sledding, making a snowman, etc. This center needs construction paper, crayons and pencils.

Scavenger Hunt: This center was a hit with the kids in my class. Each week students in this center were given a clipboard and lined piece of paper. Students were to go around the classroom and search for words with X amount of letters. The number of letters in the word would increase each week. Student really enjoyed walking around the room and finding the hidden words. This center needs clipboards (enough for a small center group) pencils and lined paper).

Big Book: This center was also one of the favorites in the first grade classroom. In one corner of the classroom there was a stack of big books. (Space is needed for this center) Students were given permission to look through the big books and reread some of their favorite stories. Students really enjoyed handling the big books and seeing everything up close. This center only needs some carpet space and big books of course!

How Many Words? Center: Students were given the word of the week that related to the theme. Again lets use leprechaun for example. Each letter of leprechaun was on different notecards. Students needed to manipulate the letters of the word in order to see how many words they could create out of it. For example: pen, lean, leap, etc. Students would record the words they found on a lined piece of paper and I would check them at the end of centers. This center requires lined paper, pencil and note cards.

Weekly Reader: (if applicable) Each weekly reader packet came with 2 large weekly readers for sharing. After reviewing as a class the large weekly readers were laminated and then put in a bin. Students chose the weekly reader used that week to reread independently. On a separate lined piece of paper students answered the questions on the back of the weekly reader. This Center needs a weekly reader, pencil and lined paper.

Computer Center: (if applicable) Each week students got a new list of 10 spelling words. At the computer center students needed to create a sentence using each spelling word. I would then check their sentences to make sure the words are being used properly such as: which vs. witch.

Also during center time is when I would pull guided reading groups since all of the work is independent and check all students work in the last 5 minutes of the time block.

Hope this helps!

5. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Sep 11, 2011

I LOVE your workshop ideas, whodat. How long was the block of time students were doing literacy workshop in one day?

6. WhoDatTeacher

WhoDatTeacher Rookie

Sep 18, 2011

Thanks! The literacy workshop block ran around 50 mins a day. Glad I could be of help :)

7. firstgradefun

firstgradefun New Member

Sep 21, 2011

I great resource is the jmeacham website (this won't let me type the complete link, but you get the idea). This is how I have my literacy centers set up, and I've been very satisified with them.