Need help with life cycle theme

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by JenK26, May 2, 2011.

1. JenK26

JenK26 Rookie

May 2, 2011

Has anyone done a life cycle theme? and if so what have you done besides butterfly and frog?

3. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

May 2, 2011

flower? bean plant? bird/chicken?

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 2, 2011

Meal worms - takes weeks but they are easy to do. Leave them in bran. They eat, eat, eat - turn into a very cool looking crysalis and then into a darkling beetle all in the same container. No fuss.

I just returned my frogs to the pond this week and got my first Monarch butterfly eggs laid on my milkweek this weekend so it was the end of one and beginning of the next.

I haven't had the guts to do chickens yet...worried cause I can't get into my school on the weekends to look after them.

I agree about beans and other seeds.

Oh, yeah - around here you can buy a praying mantis crysalis at nurseries because they are sold to organic gardeners.

Have fun!

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 2, 2011

Oh yes, the praying mantis is an insect, but the life cycle doesn't have the larvae, pupa, adult phases. It skips the pupa, that is an interesting discussion.

Ladybugs are a hit here, and help with the need to be careful when you carry them outside.

Anthills can lead to life cycles, if you trust them.....I don't.

Worms from the composter have egg sacs that can be hatched.

After you get the hang of the life cycles, look at the humans from that perspective.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 2, 2011

We started a composter this year but I haven't looked for/seen egg sacks. What do they look like?

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 3, 2011

Tiny, Tiny, Tiny, clear or beige raindrop shapes. As a point of reference, once we are used to finding them in the dirt scoop at the bottom of the composter, the children freak when we buy potting soil and it has the little chunks of weird things in it. You know? In the mix? They are sure it is either seeds, or worm eggs (they still think only worm worm comes out, but really it is more). They do look a lot like those little balls, however, the sac is more like pinhead sized.