Need help with lesson for interview

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by jd019, Jun 16, 2006.

1. jd019

jd019 Companion

Jun 16, 2006

Hi,
    On Tuesday night I will be doing a social studies lesson plan for grade 7/8 for 15-20 minutes. I could really use some advice. I want the lesson to be great but I am nervous about doing the lesson in front of the hiring panel. Any help with a topic and or activity would be great. Thanks in advance for any support.
    - Jen

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2006

Could you give us an idea of the Michigan syllabus for grades 7/8?

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2006

Remember that for the demo lesson... the content is important;however it is more important to present the material clearly. Good Luck

5. jd019

jd019 Companion

Jun 17, 2006

7th Grade focuses on world geography and 8th grade is U.S. history from the Revolutionay War through Reconstruction.

6. jd019

jd019 Companion

Jun 17, 2006

This is what I think I will do, I will start off by showing the students (principals) a poster that says "History is names and dates" then I will rip it up and say that history is much more. We will then do a modified version of this activity that I found online.

PUTTING TOGETHER THE PUZZLE PIECES OF HISTORY
    GRADES: 5-9
    MATERIALS:
    60 or more piece child puzzle
    METHOD:
    When I want the students to understand what basic concept of "history", I give each student 2-3 pieces of a 60 piece child's puzzle.
    I then ask the students to, two at a time, to approach the table at the front of the room, and try to put the puzzle pieces where they belong.
    After all the students have tried, I ask them why they thought I asked them to do such a difficult task. The correct response should be something like this: History is like a puzzle. There are often missing pieces. There are many ways that the pieces can turn to look right. We don't always have all the answers. But, we can make some educated guesses (straight pieces go on the borders, colors are kept together, etc.) and put together what we think happened.
    After the puzzle is complete, we can still see the lines of the pieces. In other words, we don't see a perfectly clear picture of what happened. We see most of what happened, and that is what History is all about....putting puzzle pieces together!!
    Submitted by,

MICHELLE ROACH
    STALEY MIDDLE SCHOOL
    FRISCO, TX

I need help with the assessment portion. How can I verify that my students now understand that history is like a puzzle with gaps, a story, and an adventure? A chart? A list? I need a cool, fun way to show this. Any ideas? Thanks

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2006

How about leading into their own family history? HAve them interview parents, grandparents, and so on to discover how they happened to arrive at this place in time.

Now, question: what are the other kids going to be doing while the 2 kids are up playing with the puzzle? Do they need some sort of a task?

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2006

Alice, I love your idea about family history... that's so interesting and how much more relevant could something be to a student. I would love to do this with the younger kids too.

9. jd019

jd019 Companion

Jun 17, 2006

Alice- That was also my concern so I decided to modify the activity so I will group students into small groups and have them attempt to put together the puzzle then I will bring it back to whole group. I too love the idea of the family history. That is a great way to take the lesson. I wish I had longer then 15 minutes to teach the lesson there is a lot I could do with it! Any more ideas for a quick assessment? Thanks so much, I do not know what I would do without the support of this board.

**Never mind, I took another job so I don't have to do this anymore**

10. Anne777

Anne777 New Member

Jun 20, 2006

interview questions for the elementary math teacher position

Someone would like to help me with the interview questions for the elementary math teacher position?

11. Anne777

Anne777 New Member

Jun 20, 2006

Someone would like to help me with the interview questions for the elementary math teacher position? Please send any information to annestsg@yahoo.com Thanks a lot.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2006

Hi Anne, and welcome!
    There's a big interview thread here somewhere--join right in!

13. Anne777

Anne777 New Member

Jun 20, 2006

But, I need the questions specific for Elementary Math Teacher position. What I meant is that the interviewer might ask me some questions concerning the technicques of teaching math????

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2006

OK, I'm HS math though, so I'm afraid the questions may be skewed that way. Here goes:

-Is there a particular approach to teaching fractions that you prefer?

-How would you explain the concept of "percent"?

-What are your feelings on calculator usage in elementary school?

-What is the place of memorization in elementary school math?

-How would you explain "regrouping" to a second grade math class?

-How would you explain integer operations to an upper elementary class?

-How would you approach teaching verbal problems?

-Do you have any creative approaches to the teaching of multiplication tables?

-How would you explain inverse operations?

15. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jun 23, 2006

HI

In the Math methods class we had, we found ways to make the learning 'real' for the students.

For instance, we had a lesson on addition and subtraction by having a 'store' in the class for students to use.

You can also tell them that to accomidate different learning styles you make the lesson incorporate those different styles. For example, to teach a topic like fractions, stand four people up in front of the group, then have two of them move two steps to the left. Now, you have 2 halfs of one whole, or 2/4.