Need help with instigator troubles

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by japanesemacaque, Apr 30, 2008.

1. japanesemacaque

japanesemacaque Rookie

Apr 30, 2008

Hi everyone,

Okay, so I have 2 classes, a MWF one and a TTh one. But the MWF class has an instigator which makes it not-so-great. There is a STARTLING difference when this child is absent in the behavior of everyone else in the class.

The instingator is a little girl who actively participates in centers, playground time, art activities, whatever we do. But as she does so, she'll get other children (whoever is around her) to misbehave (i.e. wrestle during circle time, stand on chairs while chewing food, etc.). She understands right and wrong, but she has no sense of boundaries. And when she acts up, a lot of children will follow her.

I've tried talking one-on-one with her, as has my co-teacher, we've tried a sticker system, we've talked to Mom and our director, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

3. hawkeye

hawkeye Companion

May 1, 2008

I have an instigator myself - he is a darling kid but Future class clown im convinced of it. I have found that ignoring him is best. OR make him your buddy for the day - as in he must hold your hand and do everything with you all day.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 1, 2008

Remember to try your ideas for a long period of time. At this age, kids don't necessarily show immediate improvement. Too bad...

5. Patch351

Patch351 Rookie

May 2, 2008

The child most likely is seeking attention and I would give that child all the positive attention you can when you catch her doing something correct, kind, follwing the rules...... I would try to ignore her "acts" she puts on unless she is likely to endanger herself or others. Mostly likely if you do so the acting out should die down a little.

6. japanesemacaque

japanesemacaque Rookie

May 3, 2008

I definitely do this, not just for my instigator but for all children in general. For some reason we have more stickers in my classroom than we'll ever use, so I just hand them out randomly when I see kids listening, doing things without me asking, or just really sweet stuff in general. She LOVES getting stickers and I try to make sure she gets at least 1 a week, and when she's just hanging around not doing anything in particular, I always go up to her and give her a little tickle or ask her stuff like, "How are your brothers?" or "Did you do anything interesting this weekend?" She likes the attention a lot.

Still, during circle time I can't do these things, and that's when the behavior happens the most. :(

7. Patch351

Patch351 Rookie

May 4, 2008

I had one that use to do the same during circle. She would either do things she was not suppose to be doing to get attention OR get up and come try to hug me many times during circle. Either way all she wanted was attention. I started to just ignore her bad behaviors and apoligize to the others by saying "I'm sorry there was a lot of nosie....or whatever.....during circle, you all did a great job paying attention." It is okay to talk to the others like adults and apoligize to them and praise them for listening ears. Just make sure you do not point out the student who is making all the moise by name or any other way. When she came up and wanted hugs I told her I could not give her hugs right now because we are in the middle of circle time, but at the end of cirlce time I would be glad to give you hugs. Make sure you follow through and give the child hugs if you told them you would. She usually sat down then and tried to listen knowing she would get hugs at the end.