Need help with Gatsby powerpoint!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Alaskanteach, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 13, 2007

I am trying to make a very VISUAL powerpoint for my Gatsby unit.. So far it has lots of pics, not a lot of text, but I talk about "glamour" and define it, etc.. pics included are old classic cars, mansions, flappers, movie stars... all pretty much period.. except for Catherine Zeta Jones, but she was wearing period clothes from the movie, Chicago, so I figured she could stay..

Anyway, I was thinking of playing the song from Fergie, "Glamorous" but I can't figure out how..

Any other ideas what to put in? I tried to avoid images with cigarettes, and other things I don't find it necessary to show my students (like partial nudity) so I had to be kind of selective. I only have about 25 slides, and I am afraid that even doing "slow" transitions, it still is going to be too short for the song.. Is there a way to shorten a song?

I "play" powerpoints in my class several times a year, but I obviously don't create them much..

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 14, 2007

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2007

I wouldn't cut out the smoking - you need to give them a realistic picture of the time period. Maybe discuss how smoking was received and what people thought about it in that time vs. what people think (and know) today.

5. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Make sure you get an edited version of "Glamorous" and even then, you might want to clear it with your administration. Even though the swear words are cut out, sometimes just the suggestion can land you in trouble. Good luck!

6. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Aug 16, 2007

Great

I did an entire mini lesson on the gangsters of the 1920s and they LOVED it. I know this is a lot to ask but when you finish it could you maybe send me a copy of it. I'm a new teacher and it could really help me. I would really appreciate it. You can pm me. thank you very much.

7. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 17, 2007

8. lisapoet

lisapoet Rookie

Sep 15, 2007

Do you really need to use the whole song? It might be easier to use some sort of movie maker if you need the whole song... that way you could use your images and alternate them with video clips. YouTube has an animated 6:27 lesson for Gatsby that was created for a 12th grade class.

There are also two teacher-made clips at teachertube

Finally, the Discovery Channel's web page streaming.discoveryeducation.com has a 27 minute segment called "Great Books: The Great Gatsby"