Need help with Fifth Grade

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by bridgetbordeaux, Sep 19, 2012.

1. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Sep 19, 2012

Hi, I just took over as a long term sub for a maternity leave. Teacher had babies 8 weeks early and was not able to leave lesson plans or give me any hints on her kids. Meanwhile, I feel like I am drowning with lesson plans and activities and the kids are ruling the roost!
    Any suggestions? I student taught in kinder and these kids won't work for a jelly bean or skittle. LOL

3. JasonS

JasonS Rookie

Sep 22, 2012

Bridget,

Fifth grade is one of the best grades for a sub. They are past the baby stage, but not yet into 6th where they begin to become adolescent. So you are in a good place to start.

First, be yourself, be firm, be honest.

Ask for their help. They will know where they are in the books and what is expected of them. Take two, three or four days to get an understanding of what was going on in the class before you came on board. You can't be expected to know everything walking through the door.

Your best students will make themselves available to you - they will be viable right away. Talk to them on break at recess time to learn who is good and who will give you trouble. They will tell you exactly what is going on. Don't let them become your pets! Just learn what you can from them at the beginning and remember you are the boss. Just like you were the shift manager of a factory with 20 people working for you. You are the class manager and you make the decisions on what goes on.

It is better to make a bad call than no call. Just be, fair, firm, and consistent. Be the boss, but NEVER get mad.

Since you are pretty much underwater with lesson plans etc. I suggest you visit the whole brain teaching (WBT) website. They have a lot of free information on writing a easy lesson plan and classroom management systems that are free and easy to integrate.

Pay attention to both their 7 step teaching system and especially their scoreboard classroom management system. It works as well as they say and in your situation it could save you. Just use it as they suggest. There are a bunch of You Tube videos also. Chirs Biffle is the founder and a bit of a personality. If his personal style is too much then go to the videos by the other teachers who are a bit calmer. Their system is not personality driven and will work if you are an off the wall comedic or more like me and a quite introvert. It is the system that is golden, not the presenter.

The scoreboard is a great tool and you don't need jellybeans or any other candy type stuff to get their full cooperation. Read the material on the scoreboard carefully and follow it exactly. You should be making marks on it about every two to there minutes throughout your class periods. The plus or minus 3 rule is very important. They will not tell you this part. Make sure you are winning at least half of the time. Most of my teachers had the kids winning 100 percent of the time and it totally lost its viability.

After a few days you should essentially know what materials you will be responsible for over the rest of the semester or for however long you will be there. Once you know the end point you should make a plan of how many lessons you will need to get there. Then map out a very open basic plan for the rest of the time you will be there. Next make a somewhat structure plan for first four or five weeks with major milestones to be met during that time. Next a more detailed plan for one week. Then start on lesson plans for each day of the coming week. Expect to have gaps and have to fill in with games etc.

Those gaps will get a lot smaller in a week or two.

Good Luck! Fair, Firm and Consistent will work wonders.
    Jason

4. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Sep 22, 2012

Thank you Jason, this is very helpful. I am feeling a little more comfortable but still have a long way to go

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2012