Need help with email

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by allaragallagher, Jun 23, 2014.

1. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jun 23, 2014

I interviewed for a teaching position on the 9th. I felt the interview went very well. The principal even showed me the classroom while school was in session. However, I forgot to ask when I might hear back about the job. When I sent out my thank you email that day (still forgetting to ask simply because I've always received answers within a few days) the principal responded she would be in touch soon.

I waited a few days and then called the secretary on Friday the 13th just to say I forgot to ask about the hiring timetable during my interview. I was told it was graduation and they were very busy, but I would hear back from them next week. I never did and assumed I would get a rejection letter in the mail.

I decided to call the superintendents office last Friday the 20th to confirm my suspicions that the job had been filled. Just a cold call asking: Has the Position at xxx school been filled? Instead, I was told she did not know specifics about the process but that there had been no recommendations made to the board. I became hopeful again.

However, none of my references have contacted me to tell me I've been checked and I assume they would because it would be my first job. Hell, it would be the first time my references have even been called. Thus far I've always been told "thanks for interviewing but you weren't selected" in a reply to my thank you email.

Obviously I'm not the kind of person who can just let it go. I have to know if I'm still in the running or if they've just forgot to contact me. I'm thinking of writing a brief email to the principal or the secretary touching base to restate my interest in the position, but I need help writing it. I don't want to come across pushy or impatient (even though I am.)

What do you guys think?

3. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 23, 2014

I would wait another week. June is a very busy month and plus a lot of school workers that are 12-months take vacations. Usually in July you'll see a lot of postings or interviews. If you don't hear anything when July starts, then I would send an email. It can just be a basic email letting them know when you interviewed with them and wanted to find out if the position was filled. You can also add something about you would love to be considered for any future positions. Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  4. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 23, 2014

I would just keep applying for more positions and forget about it. Don't mean to be a bubble buster but chances are that you didn't get hired. I had several interviews and followed up with them all. I only ever got a true rejection from 1 and never heard anything from the others. The people who do the hiring may say the will let you know either way, but most times they don't in my experience. They don't like making awkward phone calls just as much as we worry about sending awkward e-mails

5. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jun 23, 2014

Alright, thank you ktmiller. You've stayed my hand. It's so hard not knowing but I can definitely wait one more week to find out. I can't promise July 1st I won't be up writing that email at 6 am. LOL.

I have a very close-knit family. My brother called today to ask if I had heard anything. I said no and that I don't expect to because it's been 2 weeks. Then I logged on Facebook and my great aunt was asking the same thing. It's stressing me out.

6. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jun 23, 2014

I would, sleekteach. I've never stopped a job search because of a good interview. However, there hasn't been a new job posted here in three weeks. I can't keep applying or I would be.

Ktmiller mentioned adding that I'd like to be considered for future jobs which always sounds good in theory. You never know when another position might open up. However, if it's true I didn't get this one I am committed to relocating before August. Thus, I wouldn't be interested in a future position.