Need Help with demo lesson

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by fxrx, Mar 8, 2014.

1. fxrx

fxrx New Member

Mar 8, 2014

Hey guys,

Hoping you can help me out. New teacher and I've finally got to the demo lesson part of the interview. I'm applying to a 7th grade world history position and I can do any standard so long as I use primary documents. Wondering if you had any ideas for lessons? Im thinking of some things but I want it to be something that I don't have to frontload too much and I don't want to use any technology. I don't want to have to deal with setting up a projector or video clip in an unknown environment. Anything could go wrong! Any ideas would be appreciated!

3. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Mar 8, 2014

Be sure to write the following on the board;
    1. Name
    2. Date
    3. Bell work
    4. Objective (I use Students will be able to...)
    5. Classwork
    6. Homework (if any)

Also, try and make the lesson engaging. I usually have them answer some warm-up questions. Which was usually a few questions from the lesson to see how much they know. Than I would have them engage in group reading of the lesson and Cornell note taking using the bell work questions in the left column (be sure to circulate the room and see how far along they are reading. Also, sit in with the groups and see if they are pulling out the material). Than have a Q & A session towards the end of the class. Than have the students summarize their learning and assign homework if need be.
    This is how I would teach a social studies lesson if I wanted to teach without the projector. But if you had a projector. Than instead of group reading, present it to them on a PowerPoint like this;
    1 Bell work
    2. Title slide
    3. Objective
    4. Lesson content
    5. Homework