Need help with curriculum...

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by luv2teach415, Aug 3, 2007.

1. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Aug 3, 2007

I think I'm starting to worry too much and freak out a little bit. I'm trying to plan some sort of curriculum. I just don't know what I should be focusing on the first week of school. Should i be going over the summer reading with the students? Should they be tested on that summer reading by the end of that week?

How do you start making your lesson plans? Do you actually write out whole lesson plans or do you just write out drafts for you to follow? I'm getting so confused already and school didn't even start yet. This is my first teaching job (as you can tell by my freak out). I just don't know where to begin. Please help.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2007

What have you gotten from school? Textbooks? Syllabus?

4. wig

wig Devotee

Aug 3, 2007

Your questions are a bit broad. In addition to Alice's questions, do you have a curriculum -( either school or state?) You should not have to plan the curriculum. Once you find that out, then pace it out - first by quarter, then my weeks.

Find out what your school's requirements are for lesson plans.

Plan your procedures, and class expectations. If you haven't read Harry Wong's "First Days of School" do so. It will give you a good start.

5. mrsjam525

mrsjam525 Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

Depending on where in NY you teach, If you are part of NYC -the state ss test is coming up in Nov. What I planned on doing is looking at past test and build my lessons from that ie Vocabulary term they need to etc. For the math aspect I will focus on graphs , mapping etc . In NYC we also have Everyday Math to work with and everything is there. See if you can find out the lesson plans from the other teachers or even ask the principal about what is expected that the students should know.

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 3, 2007

Talk to your school administrator. Find out what standards you need to cover and what testing is coming up before Christmas. I usually do a pretty detailed list of what I want to accomplish the first few days of school. After that I just dive in, but I have been in this grade level a while. I suggest you talk to your admin. and go from there. Spend the first week or so review key concepts they may have forgotten over the summer like parts of speech, types of sentences, reading and summarizing, multiplication/division facts, place value, etc. Some will need the refresher, some never picked it up in the first place, and some will benefit just from the review. IF you have any really high kids you can give them time to work on learning centers or something.

7. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Aug 3, 2007

Thank you all so much with the help and advice.

Alice - I have the curriculum guide they follow. The textbooks - we found out - just came in and are ready for the teachers.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2007

GReat. So run in on Monday and pick them up and you can get started :)

9. moomoo8960

moomoo8960 Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

For the first week of school I focus on procedures and rules for the classroom. I also have the students come up with a
    "mission statement" for the classroom. I usually make a banner with the class mission statement and post in the classroom. I also do some getting to know you activities which include some type of writing assignments. I also do some kind of art activity to complete a bulletin board that I have started in the classroom. The first week goes by fast. The main advice I can give is be as organized as possible and rehearsse procedures for everything. It is also a good idea to have your behavior managment plan typed up and have parents and students sign off - in order to make sure everyone is starting on the same page. Good Luck!

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2007

Be detailed with plans for at least the first few weeks. You can't afford to "wing it" yet. Takes a lot of years before you get there. You'll want to overplan the first few days and carry on with what you didn't get to the next day. It's better to be overprepared. Cuts the first day of school jitters.
    Definately look at the curriculum guides. Then plan by tackling one subject at a time. Start with something easy for you. Plan one week at a time for awhile. It's survival for the first year. You'll get to the point where you can plan long range. Do pay attention to that state test, though. I don't care what they say, or how bad the idea is, that test drives the curriculum. It's a shame, but the stakes are too high in our state.